Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #141
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
When my babies were born earlier this year the nurse at the hospital had never had anyone refuse a circ and had no idea what to do when we wouldn't agree to it or sign the consent form.
What a crime, didn't occur to the nurse to just not do anything. I guess they'll figure it out not that Medicaid won't cover it.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #142
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good for SC. Washington doesn't cover it either, they haven't for years. Our rates are really low anyway though...I think last time I saw we were sitting at around 25-30%.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #143
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
When my babies were born earlier this year the nurse at the hospital had never had anyone refuse a circ and had no idea what to do when we wouldn't agree to it or sign the consent form.
That is so sad I've never had anyone bat an eyelash around here when we were asked about it and I said no. Nor when people find out my ds' aren't circ'd. People could care less. Heck, I even had some medical professionals act relieved or encourage my decision.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #144
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I kind of wonder how many people will have it done at the hospital, having no idea the Medicaid doesn't cover it, and then not pay the bill. Because when you are in-patient, it is not like the hospital tells you what is covered and what isn't. You don't find that out until later.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #145
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I kind of wonder how many people will have it done at the hospital, having no idea the Medicaid doesn't cover it, and then not pay the bill. Because when you are in-patient, it is not like the hospital tells you what is covered and what isn't. You don't find that out until later.
When we had The Kid we were going to get him circ'ed (I hadn't yet found DS and been enlightened about this, just thought it was what we were supposed to do) and I had pregnancy medicaid. When I was in the hospital after he was born and they asked if he was going to get circed and I said yes, they told me that it would be $250. My doctor clearly stated that medicaid does not cover it and even if I was going to get it done, I had to wait a few days as they only had one doctor in the hospital that did them and he was on vacation. This was in Fl in '05.

ETA: I was told that we had to pay for it up front if we wanted it. I thank God that we are cheapstakes and chose to keep the money in our pockets instead of chopping off his bits.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy

Last edited by sourpatch_babe; 12-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #146
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
While i find this totally true for conventional insurance - what Medicaid will/will not cover is VERY clearly presented around here. I think hospitals will quickly start informing Medicaid patients that they CAN have a circumcision but that THEY will have to pay for it. I highly doubt the hospital will be so lax about this.... it's pretty blanket that Medicaid covers 100% of everything (at least here it does) and so when something ISN'T covered it is told, written, and posted wherever applicable. But then again i could totally be wrong and they could drop the ball entirely....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #147
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Medicaid stopped covering circ in my state between my first and second babies, so with #2 and #3 my OB's office gave me a printout and a verbal notification at my first prenatal visit that all Medicaid patients would have to pay the full amount up-front if they wanted their babies circ'ed. (Here, if it's done in the hospital, it's done by the OBs.) I'm guessing that even if you're on Medicaid and didn't get prenatal care, you'd be told at the hospital that it isn't covered. From what I observed, there were definitely no free circs at my hospital. If you didn't pay ahead of time or it wasn't covered by your insurance, it didn't get done.

Most of the doctors I talked to about it said they don't like doing circs and only do them because they're required to, so I'm pretty sure the financial incentive for the doctor and the hospital is the primary motivator. I suspect they'll be very careful not to perform any hospital circs unless there's either payment in hand or a guaranteed reimbursement through private insurance.

Re: one of the posts above, I have never heard of circumcision being lumped in with other general hospital fees. It was charged as a separate procedure at my hospital, and everybody else I know well enough to discuss it with said it was the same at various other hospitals. Our insurance also listed it at as being billed separately. These days I can't see most insurance companies being willing to pay extra for every single boy born, no questions asked, when there's a good chance that the service they're paying for was declined. That doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint. Our insurance didn't even want to pay for our son's labwork, so I can't see them happily shelling out another $300-$400 for a circumcision he didn't have. Multiply that by however many thousands more intact boys they'd be paying extra for each year and they'd be losing money like crazy.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #148
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is just weird to me. DFS is Medicaid, and no one has ever told us anything wasn't covered for him except once at a pharmacy. He's been hospitalized 11 times. DCS just gets the bills later!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #149
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have never gotten any rude or negative comments, from family OR medical personnel. Family knows that I would likely bite their heads off if they questioned my parenting decisions.
The doctors/nurses in the hospital *asked* us if WE wanted it done, but never pushed it, and were not at all surprised that we said no. This coming from the woman who had one of their RARE natural births, co slept IN the hospital and took the placenta home in a doggy bag (not like a restaurant one lol, it was actually a biohazard thing...)

I had one pedi ask if there was a reason we didn't get him circed (after commenting on how cool his nb fitted was). I simply said because we didn't see any good reason TO do it, and that was that!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #150
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
This is the same givemegiveme mentality that so many Americans seem to have (and it seems to be getting worse and worse), people want the government/insurance/"the man" to pay for them getting whatever they want and see it as their God given right. So what if medicaid stops funding circumcisions? Who gives a flying squirrel's arse? If you are 100% pro circ and believe without it your child will be scarred for life being left intact, you WILL find the money for it. Medicaid funding/not funding it will have no impact on it. No one is taking away your circumcision right as of right now, ALL they're doing is making you come out of YOUR own pocket to pay for it. If it's something your family truly wants you will save the money for it during the pregnancy and pay for it. DON'T try to force the rest of us to pay for YOUR kid's mutilation. It's not your right to get it done for free.
This post was so awesome I felt it needed to be repeated!
Closed Thread