Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Question Breastfeeding/weaning and ttc

I am 4.5 months pregnant and plan to breastfeed as I have my other bio kids.

Until now, I was totally committed to exclusive breastfeeding for the first year and child led weaning, which meant my kids weaned between age 3 and 5. I typically ovulated again 12 -18 months after birth.

We are probably going to want to ttc very soon after this one, since we are older than dirt, and we don't have all that much time left for it to be a natural possibility. That being the case, it is a reality that this baby will need to wean pretty quickly.

Im not thrilled about this for a lot of reasons, but big picture, having another bio child is a priority focus, and if it means shorter nursing, even if its my last baby in the end, then ok.

Questions to anyone with advice:

How long would be reasonable to consider nursing ?

I do plan to consecutively pump until I wean, as I have been Bessie the Motherload Cow in the past, and am pretty sure I will be able to get at least the amount of time Im nursing in stored breastmilk (ie if I nurse for 6 weeks, I figure Ill have 6-10 more weeks of milk stored....)

Any advice on helping ovulation return asap?

I need some time to adjust to this whole early weaning plan thing, so I wanted some advice and info to consider so I am decided by the time the baby is born. I know it will be unreasonable to try to decide anything when Im all hormonal and emotional. That is not going to end well.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 12-30-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Projection Question....

first of all, how old are you?

How early are you talking, about weaning.

I think you need to focus on this baby and give them what you think is right, best and what thery deserve, knowing they are here and the "baby" you want my never come and just imagine howyou would feel if you early weaned this baby and never had another one.

Our philosophy is no family planning and let God bring the kids as He sees fit. I nurse until they wean, and don;t start solids until 9-10 months, our closest ones are 22 months apart and I got pg while still nursing.

My opinion would be love this baby and let God take care of the future.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
NCFlanagan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4Ways View Post
Until now, I was totally committed to exclusive breastfeeding for the first year and child led weaning, which meant my kids weaned between age 3 and 5. I typically ovulated again 12 -18 months after birth.
When your cycle returned, how were your little one sleeping at the time? Was it possible that your cycles only returned after they stopped nursing through the night? My LC has stated many times that you can breastfeed part-time and formula-feed part time. Maybe that will allow your cycles to come back and you won't have to ween too early?

I would find a good LC and ask her!
NCFlanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies so far.

Im old enough to have my OBs on rotation look at me, check my chart, tell me that my birthday must be wrong in my chart, then say, "oh. Wow. We dont see many women your age spontaneously conceiving in our practice...." Although my family tends to actively breed well into their late 40s and even early 50s, Im definately pushing that line. I really can't be confident I will have 2-3 years to hang out before we ttc again. And with every passing month of age, the chances for significant genetic issues increases, and we would like to avoid that as much as possible.

One concern is "but what if this is my last baby, and Ill miss extended bf'ing." There's also the "but if I delay ovulation, what if this is my last bio baby ever and I wont conceive again." Tough balance.

Ovulation usually returned when my lo's were down to one feeding at night. I hadn't thought about part time nursing. I have an appointment with a LC in a couple of weeks and it will be good to be armed with questions and info exactly like this one--so thanks!

As an adoptive parent, I know that I won't be killing my baby or be a terrible parent if she has formula part or even full time, so Im pretty open to options. I just need time to adjust to the plan we go with becasue my first choice is exclusively bf'ing until she weans.

Thanks for the advice and any other opinions are welcomed!

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 12-30-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding/weaning and ttc

I guess you are right, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing. But maybe you don't have to do fomula at all.

As you said you pump tons, great foryou BTW>

Maybe you could pump during the day and after a few months, when your supply is great, start bottle feeding the milk you pump, just at night, so that your body thinks you are no longer nursing at night, maybe for 2 feeds or so.

Than baby still gets the milk and maybe your body would return to fertility cycles. Then you get the best of both worlds.

I am 36 and so yes advanced maternal age but not over 40, one of my freinds had her last baby at 46 with no intervention, It happens and he is healthy.

Hopeing it will all work out for you!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding/weaning and ttc

if I were you I would probably cut back the night nursing first, to see if that affected your fertility. If that didn't do it, then maybe trying to go longer during the day between feedings (maybe with donor milk? you wouldn't need much).

Cutting out breastfeeding altogether would be the last resort.

ANother thing to consider is keeping yourself VERY well-nourished. Read up on what vitamins and minerals you should be supplementing with, as well as what foods can best affect your fertility and vitamin stores. My biggest concern with having babies that close together is the nutritional impact on your body and the baby. It takes a while to build those stores back up after pregnancy, and research shows that children who are very close together tend to have more health issues than those that are spaced a little further, which may be related to nutritional deficiencies in the mother during gestation and while breastfeeding.