Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
rhody
Registered Users
seller

diapers?

My ds is 5.5 months old and I'm just wondering what others use for diapers/underwear. He isn't regular enough yet to put him in underwear so I guess I'm wondering what kind of diapers you all prefer (training pants, AIO's, pockets, prefolds, etc) We have him in prefolds w/ a cover for the most part. I don't have fitteds and I could put a snappi on the prefolds, but I did that last week and I think it gave him a rash.

Advertisement

rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: diapers?

I have been using (most of the time) a pocket diaper cover with a small soaker laid inside- like a bamboo washcloth or bamboo soaker from a fitted diaper. If we have a pee miss I just change it out with another one and keep going. Saves on laundry, that's for sure!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
rhody
Registered Users
seller

thanks! thats a good idea, I wonder if I could just chop up some fleece or something for pee misses. (I am considering getting a few pockets in case he ends up going to daycare... which will be another post )
rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a couple of cute little HA trainers (XS) that I let DS run (crawl) around in at home, too, but they only keep him from peeing on things if we have a miss. If he's sitting, the carpet still gets wet. Prefolds are our other go-to home diaper, coverless usually.

If we go out, I'll either use a GroVia AIO or Softbums. I like the snap GroVia AIOs because I can pull them on and off.

freelance graphic designer open for business - my portfolio | my etsy
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Everyone does different things. Whatever you have or choose will work if you make it work for you. And different people find there own ways that work best for them too, so something that works for one may not work for you.

So, here is what worked best for us. I like it best because it was easy and affordable. I sewed cotton fitteds for DS. Did those at home without a cover, DS wore babylegs and then when we'd go out I'd put a cover and pants on. I did a variety of things at night, probably because night was so up and down with EC, we did wool over the fitted, no cover, and then I also made thicker fitteds later on too.
Now, he's 21 months and in gerber training pants (3 for $7) during the day and a Whole Foods brand 2T pull up at night. He wasn't wetting during the night very often, so the diaper laundry was getting really stinky and he was about to outgrow them, so we just went with disposables now.

Hope that helps!
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
ericac
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingjessica View Post
Everyone does different things. Whatever you have or choose will work if you make it work for you. And different people find there own ways that work best for them too, so something that works for one may not work for you.
Soooo true!

We like a simply cover (ecstore) type of thing - only I have the wool ones which last time I checked arn't in stock. But basically a wool underwear with a washrag or one of those thin gerber diapers in it. I have a few true trainers (we love the simple simon stuffable ones so you can customize absorbency), but honestly I like treating it more like undies and the trainers felt a bit too close to diapers to me & i found myself ignoring signs more often, etc.

With DD1 I was more cautious and stuck with diapers and the like longer, but with DD2 I found myself more in a groove with baby and willing to push towards less diapers easier. Could be the personality, could be my comfort level, but I guess I'm saying just do what you feel comfortable with! Don't fear the baby pee!
ericac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
emmaegbert
Registered Users
seller

I also did what was simple and cheap for me... used what I already had. Was given a lot of FB so I would use those, somewhat loosely fastened, so they could be pulled up and down like undies. Probably a little leakier that way but no so much as trainers.

when she was about 15mo and very rarely wetting, we moved to mostly trainers (Hanna Andersson). She goes back and forth with few misses and more. I generally use undies, but sometimes when out and about opt for the FB.

When traveling we use some too-big pullups.

And nighttime I use a backup fitted diaper (ME) with snap cover that can pull up and down b/c its not super tight. She almost never wets at night though. Its really just so I can relax (we co sleep).
emmaegbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
yogamama2
Registered Users
seller

I liked fitteds at that age and for a while bc some of them you can pull up and down pretty easily. Wool covers were good for being out and about and still being able to sense their heat changes and need to pee... At home we went coverless mainly.
yogamama2 is offline   Reply With Quote