Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ready to start...

Ok, I'd heard of EC'ing before but wasn't entirely up to that challenge when my daughter was just born (we had a lot going on at the time and I was too busy and stressed out). Anyway, we have another one on the way and our first is now 14 months old, with the next one due in April. I'm ready to start potty training her, but I'm not sure if EC-ing is what it's called at this point? Or is it just potty training? I thought we'd try around the 18 month mark, but that's right when the new baby will be here and I know I can't start then, so I thought we'd start now, does anyone have any advice?

Advertisement

nhoines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ready to start...

Yes, you can follow the EC way anytime. I'd suggest getting the diaper free book (check the EC resource thread), try your library before you buy it.
EC can be part time, whatever you are comfortable with doing. It's not an all or nothing deal.
You can start a multiple of ways. Do you have a non carpeted area you can keep your DD in? You could take off her diaper for an hour or whatever you have time for, and start learning her pee routine. I'm assuming she is mobile? It's a little harder once they can move around. Do you have diapers, like a cotton fitted or something, that you can have her wear without a cover to be able to tell when she pee's immediately? I think the biggest first step is to really learn how often they pee. So anyways you can think of to do that would be good. And when you do catch her peeing, communicate to her what she is doing, and/or make a cue sound like "psssst", then you'll use that later to tell her when you want her to go pee.
Also, can you tell when she is about to or is pooping? If she starts to grunt, you can do a couple of things, either communicate to her what she is doing and use a cue sound for pooping then too, some people grunt, some people just say poopoo or whatever you want. The other thing you could do is try taking her to the toilet to poop in or just take her diaper off and hold her above her diaper to have her poop in the diaper. This is a great thing for ECing because it's soo much easier to clean up if you have them poop somewhere other than right against their diaper and skin.

Hope this helps (and makes sense) and I'm sure others will tell some tips too.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
rhody
Registered Users
seller

http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECpottypractice.html

on that page, there is a paragraph about starting after one year old. I think there is also a link towards gentle toileting practices as well.
rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thank you so much for the tips! We will start trying to make the sounds or say a cue word as I do know already (most times) when she is pooping. Peeing is more difficult to tell, so I'll have to see what I can rig up... she is mobile (walking some on her own, but can crawl everywhere) and we only have one small space that doesn't have carpet, so I'll see what I can do to rig up a cover-free diaper.

Thanks for the link, checking it out right now!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thank you so much for the tips! We will start trying to make the sounds or say a cue word as I do know already (most times) when she is pooping. Peeing is more difficult to tell, so I'll have to see what I can rig up... she is mobile (walking some on her own, but can crawl everywhere) and we only have one small space that doesn't have carpet, so I'll see what I can do to rig up a cover-free diaper.

Thanks for the link, checking it out right now!