Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD can't drink milk

So we found out our DD doesn't do well with cows milk. No biggie, I switched her to almond milk and things are going great. However, how do I eliminate the rest of the cows milk products in our life? She will eat and seems to enjoy almond cheese, but does anyone have any other suggestions for the everyday things, like.... cream of soups and pudding and ice cream, for example? I did try one pudding recipe using coconut milk and bananas and she liked it the first day but won't eat it now.

Advertisement

nhoines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
LCFlan
Registered Users
seller

Re: DD can't drink milk

Have you tried goat milk? A lot of people that can't handle cow milk do great with goat milk. Meyenburg is the company that makes all goat milk products (or at least the only one I'm aware of that does more than just goat cheese). Beyond goat milk (which you can get as regular, powdered, and evaporated), they also have cheddar, cream cheese, and butter. And Laloo's makes goat milk ice cream. Goat milk is becoming a more popular alternative to cow milk every day, so if you do some searching I'm sure you'll find more products and companies that make goat milk products. As for cream of soups, I'd just make them from scratch. Unless you're buying organic, most of the canned stuff has MSG (or yeast extract, which is the same as MSG) in them anyway. Hope this helps a little! :-)
LCFlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you - we did get some goats milk and cheese and just tried the cheese yesterday. I am using up what is still in the fridge for the almond milk before I get out the goats milk... which I bought a "sample" packet of the dried stuff, just to try. I will have to check our stores to see if they have the rest of the goats milk products, as I've only seen the cheese and milk so far. Thank you for your help!
nhoines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

My DS cant drink milk but can tolerate small amounts of cheese, yogurt doesnt bother him. Are you sure its ALL dairy? I use lactaid in mac n cheese and dinner dairy stuff we have for him because goat milk just is gross IMO LOL. Ive never been able to like it no matter how much I try.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Some people can't handle pastuerized cows milk but do well with raw cows milk. I dont know where you are but we buy raw milk from a Grade A raw milk dairy. It's great, you can even make your own butter, yogurt etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are vegan by choice and raising our daughter that way so we are up on all the alternatives. We use Daiya cheese in anything that calls for cheese, it doesn't taste exactly the same but it melts great and doesn't have any milk proteins. There are some great ice cream alternatives using soy, rice, and coconut milk that you can buy. I have a really yummy ice cream recipe for chocolate raspberry ice cream using coconut milk. If I were you I would just google whatever recipe you want, like veegan pudding and see what you find. I've bought amix for that too that you mix with silken tofu. One website that has some really yummy recipes is yumuniverse.com. If you want any specific recipes I might have, feel free to PM me.
majors3 is offline   Reply With Quote