Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can giving up dairy have an effect this quickly?

I officially, seriously, gave up dairy on Saturday. Not just the obvious things, but really reading every label and not forgetting.

DD (5 months) has been a very unhappy baby, currently being treated for reflux. She started Zantac a month ago, which made her a new baby. After a week and a half, the meds didn't seem effective anymore. After increasing the dose once and having it no longer effective after another week, the ped switched her to Prevacid. That was like being on NO medicine. That's when I got serious about the dairy. Yesterday was pretty rough, she got the Prevacid in the am and the Zantac in the pm (b/c she was just screaming and arching and could not calm down until I gave it to her). She went to sleep a half hour later.

I didn't give her any meds today and she had a GREAT day. She was so happy, smiling at everything. I could tell she felt better. Is it just a fluke, or is it possible that eliminating dairy could have an effect so quickly? I gave it up seriously on Saturday, and today is Wednesday...so that is less than a week.

Any experience like that? We're going to the ped tomorrow for a follow up.

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can giving up dairy have an effect this quickly?

yes, you could see signs this quickly some of my kids were so sensative that even one day of dairy made then SICK SICK SICK!

I hope she really is doing so much better, that would be wonderful.

If she has some more bad days it can take 3 weeks to clear it up.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can giving up dairy have an effect this quickly?

When I first started trying to see if dairy was the culprit Cohen's fussiness, I noticed a marked difference in about two days of being dairy free. It's definitely possible. Also, both of my boys had/have both reflux and lactose intolerance, so I just wanted to say that I feel what you're going through!

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote