Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
jenthe10
Registered Users

Re: what to do with steel cut oatmeal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janae_69 View Post
Put the oats in the blender dry and grind up until it looks like flour. Use in place of flour in lots of things.

Thanks for posting! i was totally wondering if you could do that!

Advertisement

jenthe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you like steel cut oats as oatmeal, it freezes very well. My DH loves it but doesn't have time to make it in the morning (and my crockpot cooks too hot to do it overnight.) I make a big batch and freeze it in individual containers, he can just pop it in the microwave in the morning at work. I usually add fruit/spices/brown sugar.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's a no-cook method (eaten cold with a chewy texture): pour 1 cup of steel-cut oats into a bowl, mix with about 2 cups milk, a dollop of honey, and a bit of cinnamon and ginger. Optionally add a scoop of raisins, too, and a bit of grated citrus zest. Refrigerate the oats overnight. (If you want to do just a little extra work, you can sauté them in a little butter first.) In the morning the oats have softened enough to eat. They are delicious when eaten cold, mixed with some grated apple or chopped peaches, or topped with blueberries and almonds.

Here's an overnight stove-top (not slow cooker) method: The previous night boil six cups of water, stir in the oatmeal, let boil for 1-minute, turn off the heat and cover. The next morning, you turn the heat back on and let it boil for 7-10 minutes. Optionally add sliced bananas, chopped walnuts, almonds, cranberries and/or a bit of maple syrup.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make ours the night before, kinda...I boil 4 cups of water add the 1 cup of oats, stir and remove from heat...when its cool enough to touch I give it a stir and put the whole pot in the fridge over night...the next morning all I have to do is heat and season it...I do wanna try it in the crockpot though ...would be nice to wake up to it ready and hot making the house smell nice!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The crockpot idea is awesome!!! I have a bunch of steel cut oats and I can't seem to get them cooked to my liking on the stove I'm gonna try this!!! WOOT!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
emkeegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janae_69 View Post
Put the oats in the blender dry and grind up until it looks like flour. Use in place of flour in lots of things.
good idea!! does it still maintain the added health benefits over quick oats? (maybe a dumb Q)...
emkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
janae_69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see why it wouldnt retain the same health benefits. Something interesting I found out years ago when I was making all our own bread and using my wheat grinder......75% of all the nutrition oxidizes withing 24 hours after grinding flour. Its better to grind and use what you need at that time. It retains more nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkeegan View Post
good idea!! does it still maintain the added health benefits over quick oats? (maybe a dumb Q)...
Mother of 8, Natane' DD 22, Derek DS 20, Seth DS 18, Simeon DS 12, Elijah DS 11, and Zacheriah 7 mo., 2 angels in heaven Selah, and Calah 1/15/11,Co-sleeping, HM-birthing, non-vaxing, HMschooling, CD-ing, tree hugging. Cloth mama pads and nursing pads http://www.freewebs.com/gardenofedengirl/
janae_69 is offline   Reply With Quote