Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: with 3 years of cding under my belt, i still need wash routine help...

You could try a dehumidifier and sunlamp combo - it's another expense, but it would help counter the mold issue and allow you to effectively line dry.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
Here's what I think...but hey, I'm no expert! I'm still trying to figure it all out too.

We have to pay for laundry, so cannot alter cycles, soak diapers, add rinses, etc. We also cannot afford two washes in order to rinse dipes. So we cannot use something that requires a bunch of rinsing. We have coin op as well and I just do one cycle because, well, I'm cheap. It does not get my dipes clean. I get them cleaner handwashing in the tub. I have some pee smell issues and I think it's because they just aren't clean enough and I've been lazy and used the washers. are you thinking of changing your stash? flats will be the easiest to clean.

Our dryer is a piece of crap and always leaves diapers damp...but we have had mold issues in our apartment and do not want to hang to dry in here (not to mention we have no space). We also cannot afford two dry cycles each time, so we've been leaving them damp need ideas here... can you do once in the dryer and then hang on some drying racks? they don;t take up much room

Also trying to decide if we should spray all diapers since we cant presoak or rinse...or if we shouldnt because of the mold issue. I find rinsing each dipe does help keep the smell away. if you have an open wetbag or pail, and wash often, will mold still build up that quickly?

last night I soaked my pee stink diapers in hot water and baking soda and then rinsed on hot a few times (all in the tub-our coin washer does not get as hot for some reason) and they smell MUCH better. I think I'm going to tweak my wash routine to hot rinse, hot wash with detergent and either baking or washing soda, not sure yet and then hot rinse to make sure it's clean. Have you tried adding a little bleach or oxyclean to kill bacteria?
thanks for sharing...we don't get visible mold on the dipes (except for one time) but another mama said something about mold spores and we think it might be our problem...that maybe the spores are getting in there even though they don't get visible mold on them? Make sense? It sounded right since we saw mold one time and have had a history of it in our place (landlord fixed it, but we may just have more spores here than most?) I don't really know for sure, I juat want to be cautious, kwim?
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel you on the mold thing. I found some mold under our bathroom sink when we moved and I got paranoid about spores. I basically drowned the area in bleach.

What about a simple cotton pocket stuffed with flats? GEM cloth has some simple pockets for $5. they are one size and need to be pinned and covered if you need waterproof. but you can easily stuff with flats.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=718550
Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

I just had a brainstorm! What about pad folding your flats in covers (and getting more flats and covers if need be)? That would be easy for DH, add a doubler or use two for night time. If you use aplix covers it would be quick changes too.
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
I just had a brainstorm! What about pad folding your flats in covers (and getting more flats and covers if need be)? That would be easy for DH, add a doubler or use two for night time. If you use aplix covers it would be quick changes too.
Actually, this sounds like our best bet....we like using wool, hence the fitteds and snappied dipes...but given the choices...maybe wool just isn't possible anymore I think I'm gonna cry
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
jennak
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
Actually, this sounds like our best bet....we like using wool, hence the fitteds and snappied dipes...but given the choices...maybe wool just isn't possible anymore I think I'm gonna cry
what about wool wraps? Like Baby Beehinds.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
I feel you on the mold thing. I found some mold under our bathroom sink when we moved and I got paranoid about spores. I basically drowned the area in bleach.

What about a simple cotton pocket stuffed with flats? GEM cloth has some simple pockets for $5. they are one size and need to be pinned and covered if you need waterproof. but you can easily stuff with flats.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=718550
This sounds awesome! And a great price...but we can't pin I searched hc for pocket fitteds but nothing came up...anyone know a place where i can get snappiable or snap closure fitteds like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennak View Post
what about wool wraps? Like Baby Beehinds.

Can you use them that way? My kids poo a lot...I think is be worried about cleaning way too much wool that way...kwim?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
ooh, and even I won't use flats on ods...I've tried spraying his poop off flats before, not going there again...and he poos about every other diaper....I know hell end up in sposies
Using fleece liners will make dealing with the bm diapers so much easier. I had mine cut to 7 by 12 inches for good coverage.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you want to pad-fold into covers, why not go for some fleece wraps instead of wool or in addition to wool? Fleece dries really fast and you can wash it w/any laundry. I'm pretty sure you can get fleece wraps from Little Boppers and Chelory...I know there are others but those are who sprang to mind Oh, and the Imse Vimse bumpy wool wrap is machine washable too

ETA -- for pocket fitteds: Chelory, Green Acre Designs

Hyena Cart links to others that I've never tried:
http://hyenacart.com/babybums/st/380...ket-fited-SALE

http://hyenacart.com/mandismenagerie...tted-Pink-Ooga

http://hyenacart.com/magz/mt/2350/23...UZZ-lightyear-

http://hyenacart.com/totwraps/mt/886...-Fitted-Bamboo

Last edited by boysniris; 01-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Couldn't help posting on here again because something else came to mind.

A mama on another board who is CDing children in multiple sizes uses flats layed inside a cover for all of her DC. She folds them directly out of the dryer to the right length for each child's needs and keeps them stacked on the changing table shelves in small baskets. When it comes time to change a child if the cover is not wet or messy she will just remove the wet flat and replace it with a clean one. If the cover is wet she wipes it dry and lets it hang dry until the next diaper change and then re-uses it. ( This system is similar to how the FLIP system works but you're using flats instead.) I really hope this will help you. Maybe even make it possible for you to have a more streamlined stash.

You said that you will miss your wool but even if you used this system you could still use wool over the top of everything at night for extra protection if you really wanted to!
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote