Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Re: My name is Pam, and I'm a milk-hoarder

I only have about 25 oz in the freezer right now I have low supply.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
notinoz
Registered Users
seller

I too am a milk hoarder. I have one chest freezer full and another one about half full. My daughter is 4.5 months old and I am still pumping more than she drinks. I freeze 20-30 ounces a day. I don't know what I will do once the 2nd freezer is full. I have an oversupply that I can't seem to slow down. My LC said the milk would be good past a year and to keep giving it to her.
notinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by all3darlings View Post
My newborn son is just about to be 7 weeks old and I already have over 400 oz in the freezer. I've never had to rely on a stash but can't bring myself to dump it out. He is #3 and he is my last. I guess I just kinda feel like I don't want to let go of anything. I never thought about donating......how do you go about doing that? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks mamas
There are 2 main ways to meet someone in need for mom-to-mom donation. Milkshare is a website divided by state, so you can look and see if there is someone local that is in need. Or if you are willing to ship you can look into that too.
Eats on Feets has many local chapters as well and they are based mostly on Facebook. You can google to see if there is a chapter in your area.

The most important thing about donating is being upfront in what you expect from the recipient mama (ie let them know up front if you would like them to replace the bags that you give them).
For me it has been very rewarding knowing that I am helping another baby get the milk they need.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
uptheleft
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just an FYI to all of you hoarders....Do yourself a favor, if you havent already, defrost a bag of milk and make sure it smells okay. There are some women who have an excess of an enzyme called lactase, which breaks down the fat in your milk and when frozen over long periods of time, will cause the milk to smell like soap. Its pretty gross and I found this out after having about 200 oz stored away that then had to be tossed. If you find that you have this problem, all you need to do is scald the milk (very high heat until the outer ring has small bubbles) before you store it away.

Good luck!
uptheleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
urban farm chick
Registered Users

Me too!!! Although I am aghast at people who say they have 400 oz... even 40 oz! I can't seem to get more than a few bottles in there at any one time!
urban farm chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
julieray
Registered Users
seller

wow I am not the only one! I freak out about my hubby using the recent ones lol. I have some september ones I need to use lol..
julieray is offline   Reply With Quote