Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
doesfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LO chokes with letdown...anyone have this happen too?

I also have this problem (my DS is 3.5 months old) and it is called forceful letdown. It is often a sign that you have an oversupply of milk. There is a great article on LLL's website about it. Just type "oversupply" into the search bar (I don't have enough posts to do a link LOL).

I have to nurse DS "uphill" so that he is pulling the milk out rather than having it spray into his mouth. If you think you have an oversupply I would call an LC. An LC here really helped me diagnose his green diapers and fussiness while nursing. Hope that helps mamas!

Advertisement

doesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had similar problems since DD was around 6 weeks old. We had to do block feedings and nurse uphill as well. We still have a problem first thing in the morning if she didn't bf much during the nightm. I highly advise to avoid the pump because it can make the problem worse. We just unlatch and I either spray off into a burp cloth or catch it with a milk saver if I remember. Kellymom.com has some great advise as well. GL!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here are some pictures on how to nurse baby to help them cope with all the milk.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyaks View Post
It comes out a bit fast for the tiny ones to get and that's common. As they get older, they outgrow it. If you are worried about it, try de-latctching the babe right as you let down and express a little milk into a cup or a washcloth, then let them back on as the flow slows a little. HTH.
Yep, oald here too. I do the same as above & boy does DS yell! I let him back on when it stops spraying.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
doesfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes everyone has been posting good advice! If you pump you'll only make the problem worse because then your body will think you need to continue making lots of milk when really you need to make less.
doesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
jennkix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Thanks for the helpful replies everyone! My DS does not have the green stools, but that's not to say that wouldnt happen if I hadn't gotten all this great advice. Thanks again!
jennkix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
julieray
Registered Users
seller

I have tried everything and the best thing I can say is have an extra cloth nearby and spray into it lol
julieray is offline   Reply With Quote