Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Taking a bottle

Ladies, I need some help/support here.
My DD is now 13 weeks and is really refusing the bottle. We started her @ 3 weeks on a bottle but very sporadically and at 2 months she started refusing the bottle. (I need her to take bottles b/c a) I'm going to have surgery and be in the hospital for 3 days next month and b) I'm going back to work after I recover).
I've tried Avent (which my DS took years ago); Nuk (which is what her paci is and she sucks that!); and now Breastflow.
She's been chewing on the nipple now and then crying.
Ideas???
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Taking a bottle

I feel ya on this one My DS2 refused to take a bottle too. I tried all kinds of bottles and got nothing. I am going back to nursing school full time in a week so I had to do something. I ended up working with him to take a pacifier. I figured if I could get him to suck on that then he would suck on a bottle. I worked on the pacifier for about one week. He then would take 2 different kinds and REALLY liked them. After that I introduced the bottle again. I used breastflow and sure enough he took it It took him about 45min. to drink 4oz's, but he took it! I now make sure to give him a bottle every few days to make sure he will still take it and so far so good. Good luck, I know how hard it can be when your baby won't take a bottle. As for me, I got what was coming to me! I never took a bottle when I was a baby. My Dad or whoever was watching me would have to drive me to my moms work to eat
hminor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminor11 View Post
I feel ya on this one My DS2 refused to take a bottle too. I tried all kinds of bottles and got nothing. I am going back to nursing school full time in a week so I had to do something. I ended up working with him to take a pacifier. I figured if I could get him to suck on that then he would suck on a bottle. I worked on the pacifier for about one week. He then would take 2 different kinds and REALLY liked them. After that I introduced the bottle again. I used breastflow and sure enough he took it It took him about 45min. to drink 4oz's, but he took it! I now make sure to give him a bottle every few days to make sure he will still take it and so far so good. Good luck, I know how hard it can be when your baby won't take a bottle. As for me, I got what was coming to me! I never took a bottle when I was a baby. My Dad or whoever was watching me would have to drive me to my moms work to eat
That's so funny!
Yeah - DD LOVES her paci so ...
I will keep trying the Breastflow - THANKS!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
natmarie6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just want to offer

I'm going through the same thing with my 7 month old.

It's gotten better with consistancy and a sippy cup (something you can try in the future). GL mama!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Same problem here. I go back to work at the end of the month, and my LO won't take a bottle. She will play with a sippy (she's 5 months) but won't actually suck on it. Same with a bottle, she'll mess with it, but when its time to eat she just gets mad and starts sobbing. I work too far from home to have her brought to me. I'm not too sure what's going to work when I do go back. I may end up starting solids a tad bit early so she has something to eat.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs715 View Post
Same problem here. I go back to work at the end of the month, and my LO won't take a bottle. She will play with a sippy (she's 5 months) but won't actually suck on it. Same with a bottle, she'll mess with it, but when its time to eat she just gets mad and starts sobbing. I work too far from home to have her brought to me. I'm not too sure what's going to work when I do go back. I may end up starting solids a tad bit early so she has something to eat.
We should start a support group LOL! Well we are trying every day now - not taking 'no' for an answer...
and I had thought of giving solids but I read somewhere that's not the best idea...don't know where I read that though.
Geez this isn't my first baby - you'd think I knew what to do!!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My first didn't want to take a bottle either. I compiled a list of all the different kinds of things we tried with her. Though none of them worked and she never took a bottle, even though I sent them with her to daycare every day, just in case.

http://lactationnarration.com/index....take-a-bottle/
Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
dr_comer
Registered Users

We went through the same thing, but earlier (about 5 weeks). One thing I found (also now with sippy cup) pick one and stick with it. My DS liked the playtex drop ins with the latex nipple (not silicone). He eventually switched to silicone (we had tons of free avent bottles). We tried Nuk, playtex vent aire, breast flow and Dr Browns. It took DS about a week. Have anybody besides you offer the bottle. She knows you've got the good stuff, the way she prefers it! Good luck
Elexis
dr_comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
luv2clothbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with what the previous poster said. Have anybody besides you offer the bottle. They learn at a very early age that mom can provide better things than the bottle...has a lot to do with your smell Also, just keep trying everyday and pick her least fussy time of day to offer it to her. ex: if she gets fussy in the evening then offer her at her noon feeding or whatever. Maybe even her morning feeding when she is the most hungry? My daughter never had any problems switching back and forth but I gave her a bottle at about 4 weeks every couple days cause i knew I was going back to work at 3 months. However, I watched my neice 3 days a week, 12hr days from 5weeks old and she had a horrible time taking the bottle. It would be worse when I would get her after her going several days without having one, so after you get your little one to start taking one, don't go a long time without giving her a bottle until she gets used to going back and forth without problems. Personally, I had the best luck with the playtex dropins. I know its not the most eco-friendly option but they collapse just like the breast, no air in tummy, and nipple supports breastfeeding. And, use the latex ones since your little one is having issues. It doesn't last quite as long as the silicone ones, but they are supposed to be even closer to the feel of the breast. I have got those in my drawer for my next one soon to be here

Good Luck!!
luv2clothbabies is offline   Reply With Quote