Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
Bekie
Registered Users
seller

Re: First time breast feedng and have a few ?'s

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #22
Bekie
Registered Users
seller

Oh 2 more questions lol, what is a good sling for nursing? And is it normal to still be spotting? I only bled for 2 weeks with my boys but didn't nurse them, not sure if that makes a difference but I am still spotting??
Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
Willismom3
Registered Users

My Mood:

You may want to try feeding him till he falls asleep, then changing his diaper to wake him, then try feeding him again. My son would do the same thing... I guess it's a boy thing. You can do it, this is the hardest time.. He'll start to sleep longer. You can always try putting him in a swing when he does fall asleep to see if that helps keep him down for a longer period. His constant waking may be from lack of sleep and the longer naps will help him sleep longer at night. Hope this helps!

about the spotting.. it's normal due to the bfing... I like the new native carrier... it covered a lot when out and is safe. I also liked the my breast friend nursing pillow for home. It really helped in the multitasking area!

Last edited by Willismom3; 01-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Willismom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ring slings are excellent carriers, because you can adjust them to fit you and your baby. search for youtube videos on nursing in a sling - there are tons and they are very helpful!

spotting at this point is totally normal - it can last for a while, just know that your uterus is working hard to shrink every time you nurse!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #25
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekie View Post
Hey everyone, I am breastfeeding my 3 week old son and this is the first time for nursing for me so I have tons of questions lol and thought you ladies might be able to help me out. First off I feel like all I do is feed him, non stop all day. I can barely get him to go 2 hours between feedings and usually its closer to an hour but he only nurses for about 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep and as soon as I lay him down he wakes and wants to eat again and the same thing happens over and over. Last night I fed him and went to bed, he woke up 5 minutes later and my husband got him and couldn't do anything with him so he fed him 4 oz of breast milk that I had pumped and he still was hungry so he fed him 2 oz of formula and then he was content and could be and slept better than he usually does, 4 hours. I just feel like he is not getting satisfied with my milk, I know he is getting enough because of his wet and poopy diapers but I just feel like he isn't satisfied with that. Also when I pump I can barely get an oz or 2, could it be my supply is low? Any advice would be greatly appreciated TIA~
His belly is super small, he can only hold so much. This is why he needs to eat so often. Ppl tend to over feed with formula...so it seems like baby goes longer amounts of time btwn but baby has usually been over fed. Plus breastmilk goes from mouth to bum in about 90- its digested very fast. It is made for baby's belly's so its easier on belly and is absorbed fast.

As for pumping- some mamas dont let down to a pump the same way they let down to their baby's. I was this way and still am (we been BFing for 11 months). I can never pump more then an oz or so....this does not mean there is anything wrong with your supply. And remember when he demand your produce so if you are using a bottle that is milk your body would have produced. That is not good for your supply b/c next time he'll want that milk for you and you wont have produced it b/c he wasnt demanding it on the breast.....Hopefully all that makes sense, I'm typing quick b/c I have to run out to town.

HTH! GL
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #26
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekie View Post
Oh 2 more questions lol, what is a good sling for nursing? And is it normal to still be spotting? I only bled for 2 weeks with my boys but didn't nurse them, not sure if that makes a difference but I am still spotting??
I bled for about 6 1/2 weeks
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
Bekie
Registered Users
seller

I swear my body just started producing more milk yesterday, or at least it felt that way and he did so much better, hope it stays that way. As far as sleep goes I only get it with him laying on my chest lol but its working.

I thought the bleeding was normal too but I keep reading that it should stop by 10 days pp and if its still red that its not normal? I am barely spotting but its still redish pink and just got worried when I read that. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
BlessedWithGirls
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the other mamas have pretty much covered it, but it sounds like you're doing great and just need some encouragement to keep it up!

I agree about getting rid of the formula and bottles since those things are the surest way to make your supply truly lower. And some moms just aren't able to pump much - I could out of one bb but not the other...weird but just the way it is sometimes.

Hang in there - it does get much better!!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #29
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Nursing is a full time job for the first six weeks. Its totally normal to spend 8-10 hours a day breastfeeding. As he gets a little older, he will be more efficient and it won't take so long. It will become easy and you will settle into a nice rhythm. Remember for now that nature has designed him with a tiny tummy and you with super easily digested milk. This means frequent feeding is needed. He's not really supposed to be sleeping big stretches or going big stretches without nursing. Its how nature made sure he'd survive, attached to mama, warm and safe. His biology doesn't know you live in a heated home without predators.

The reason that he slept longer with the formula is that it doesn't digest easily. It forms a curd in the stomach that takes longer to digest and he won't feel hungry as soon as a result. Unfortunately that means he won't want to nurse again as soon and your supply (which needs the frequent stimulation at the breast to get established) might suffer. Don't measure your supply by what you can pump. I was never able to pump more than 1-2oz, ever! But I have successfully breastfed 4 boys to toddlerhood! Pumps just aren't effective for some moms. Instead watch his diapers. Are they nice and wet? Is he passing frequent yellow seedy poops? If so, I bet he's fine.

If you are concerned about your supply and feel he's really not happy and satisfied right after feeding, instead of supplementing, get a big drink of water, settle in somewhere cozy and nurse, nurse, nurse. Really try to drain the breasts. I read recently its the emptying of the breast that triggers more production. Additionally, you might want to try some Mother's Milk Tea, or another great product that both my sister and I have used with great results in boosting supply is Maxi Milk from Mountain Meadow Herbs.

The early weeks of breastfeeding are sort of like an investment in the future, lots of hard work but it results in a big payback later, when it becomes one of the easiest parts of your day. A nursing baby forces you to slow down and take a break - and its a tremendous stress-reliever! LOVE those bfing hormones!

As far as spotting - I bled lightly up to 4-6 weeks. I was told its normal. I have not had much success nursing a nb in a sling. My LO's always needed a lot of support staying latched on in the early weeks (in other words, I had to hold my boob for them until they got stronger ) so nursing in a sling wasn't very practical. But I did wear them right after nursing, out shopping, etc and it seemed to keep them very content. With my older boys I had a Dr Sears sling with padded edges that I loved! I got rid of it by the time I had my youngest DS so I just borrowed my sister's Maya and I didn't like it as well. I really liked the padding on my old sling. This next baby I am going to try a wrap style - like a Moby or Sleepy Wrap. But I might buy another Dr Sears sling as well. They've updated the fabrics and look really nice. Here's a couple I found - the first pic shows how nice that padded edge supports the head.

http://www.target.com/Balboa-Baby-Ad...f=pd_ecc_rvi_1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B0019JDCWE

Ooooh I LOVE this print!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was spotting for about 6 weeks. It's normal.