Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too much milk....but I can't let go

I've donated about 550oz. It was felt great to help another little baby. Plus, my babies were not going to drink it. I've tossed out milk in past. It was so sad. I'm really glad I donated this time. I'm not pumping much anymore or I would still donate. Next time I have only a single baby, I hope to be able to really donate a lot. Great job! Milkshare.com is great and so is Eats on Feets.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Man I need some of you ladies by me because I desperately need some milk!!!!
I really hope you decide to donate!! I have low supply, and probably IGT.....I can only meet about 60-70% of DD's demand. Its so sad when you cant meet your own baby's needs. Ive received donations twice now and am SO grateful to you mommies who donate!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
mommy2fourmunchkins
Registered Users
seller

Definatly consider donating! There is such a huge demand for it and no where near enough supply. While banks are great, personal donation would probably be ideal if you have an attachment to the milk so you can hear updates on how baby is thriving on your milk.

We are recipients ourselves and our donor momma was terrified of letting go of milk, but had over 4000oz in her freezer. So to feel better, she kept a month supply for her little one and donated the rest to us. So far she has give us close to 18,000 oz to our twins! She has a massive over supply! We are forever greatful to her. A little back story on us- my guys were preterm due to an infection and my supply just never came in. I think it was due to the infection, stress of the NICU, and EP'ing. We did everything we could with meds, frequent pumping, etc. until they were nearly 6 months when I got really ill and had to stop. Our boys came home on oxygen and monitors and had a generally rough time at home when a friend offered to donate her left over milk, they were about 2 months old. Almost instantly they improved, they were happier, they weren't gassy, they weren't spitting up and best of all they stopped having apnea episodes and came off of the oxygen! She did all she could, but couldn't provide for two hungry babies and her own so our search for donor milk began! We have had milk shipped from all over the country (we live in Idaho) racking up over $15,000 in shipping costs. They were drinking over 100oz a day between the two of them for a few months. We are still paying off the debt wracked up from shipping, but can't imagine if we had to go through a milkbank paying several hundred dollars for a one day supply! Oh, and the reason behind them needing milk- they have severe protein allergies, allergic to preservatives and multiple other digestive issues that to this make them unable to tolerate many foods. Now at 17 months old they are still on donor milk and absolutely thriving. Thankfully they are also able to eat most fresh foods, but no dairy or soy products (incl. goat's milk!). To date we have recieved approx. 45,000oz in donor milk.

All this is to say you could be an absolute miracle for a baby or two out there. There are sooo many out there who could be blessed by your extra milk and then it will never go to waste!
mommy2fourmunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mommy2four- wow! Your story is amazing. I'm sure you've thought about it before but just imagine how much doctors would have you spending on special formulas and drugs if you hadn't found donor milk. Simply amazing.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
mommy2fourmunchkins
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Mommy2four- wow! Your story is amazing. I'm sure you've thought about it before but just imagine how much doctors would have you spending on special formulas and drugs if you hadn't found donor milk. Simply amazing.
Oh they did! They put the boys on Neocate (about $80/Can through a local supplier!) which they went through 1.5 cans a day. Our insurance would have covered that 100% but they still reacted to it, so that wasn't even an option when we ran out of milk! Honestly, it would have been much cheaper for us going that route, but it just didn't work. We did what we had to to keep our lo's healthy. Now I am just hoping I have a full supply with this surro baby! I am hoping to provide supplemental milk for my guys plus donate to another little one. Shouldn't be a problem since I had a healthy supply with my others.
mommy2fourmunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote