Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
boosting supply questions

Hi there. Just a couple quick questions about boosting supply. I had problems with my first 2 with low supply so I supplemented bottles. Probably didn't need to as they were gaining weight, had plenty of wet/dirty diapers. I just didn't realize that babies like to eat...a lot!!! I felt exhausted and tired and gave in to the bottles. Also, we tried to stick to a "schedule" instead of on-demand nursing.

So...with this next one, I want to do a more on-demand method and REALLY try to not give a bottle (thought that's one DH and I are still discussing...he REALLY wants to give a bottle soon....for the sole purpose of sleep - he doesn't think it will affect my supply if I pump in it's place).

I was also hoping to try some of the teas/herbal supplements. I know there's fenugreek, but many have said they got sick of the maple syrup smell and it gave them the runs.

I've heard eating oatmeal can help. Do the packets of instant oatmeal work or does it have to be another kind?

Those of you that drink the teas, do you notice a difference? What's your favorite kind and where can I get some?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Re: boosting supply questions

Fenugreek works well but it upsets my tummy I've heard good things about Mother's Milk tea. Also Blessed Thistle is another supp you can take. As for oatmeal, the real deal works best. Steel cut oats are even better! Check out www.kellymom.com for a plethora of info to help you out! Good luck!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your babies were growing fine and everything I would not suggest supplementing with anything until you have issues.

as far as supplementing , if you give baby a bottle of breastmik, they won't sleep any longer then ifyou just nurse. If you are thinking about giving formula to help baby sleep...you will actually change the ph balance of babies gut to a formula baby and...that isn't helpful, besides babies shouldn't sleep longer, breastmilk is digested in 2 hours, so they need to eat again. Baby=sleeplessness, try co-sleepling.

if you nurse on demand you will have plenty of milk!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Hi there. Just a couple quick questions about boosting supply. I had problems with my first 2 with low supply so I supplemented bottles. Probably didn't need to as they were gaining weight, had plenty of wet/dirty diapers. I just didn't realize that babies like to eat...a lot!!! I felt exhausted and tired and gave in to the bottles. Also, we tried to stick to a "schedule" instead of on-demand nursing. This is the BEST way to make sure your supply stays good, by nursing on demand

So...with this next one, I want to do a more on-demand method and REALLY try to not give a bottle (thought that's one DH and I are still discussing...he REALLY wants to give a bottle soon....for the sole purpose of sleep - he doesn't think it will affect my supply if I pump in it's place). If you are pumping, how are you going to be sleeping? I know that hubby's think that the bottle can be a big help but you have to pump in order to keep your body making milk at that time, so is it really worth it?

I was also hoping to try some of the teas/herbal supplements. I know there's fenugreek, but many have said they got sick of the maple syrup smell and it gave them the runs. I really would wait until baby comes. These supplements are usually readily available.

I've heard eating oatmeal can help. Do the packets of instant oatmeal work or does it have to be another kind?

Those of you that drink the teas, do you notice a difference? What's your favorite kind and where can I get some?

Thanks!!!
HTH
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
SupernovaLA
Registered Users
seller

Drink plenty of water, nurse often, sleep as much as you can, eat oatmeal, drink mothers milk tea. These things worked for me!
SupernovaLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found that belly bars, oatmeal, pasta, and gatoraide seem to up my supply.. I have no supply issues but when I eat any of those my supply goes through the roof.. Also, you'll get the most sleep if you co sleep and let the baby dream nurse... that's what I've found to work for us anyway.
L♥VING MY WAHM PRODUCTS I FOUND HERE ON DIAPERSWAPPERS!! Homemade natural bath/skin products & candles from Alexanders Additions http://www.alexandersadditions.com/ and MAMA CLOTH great prices, amazing well made pads and she does custom work too visit The Silver Liner here.. http://hyenacart.com/stores/TheSilverLiner/
wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
lovely_serendipity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsissy View Post
Also, you'll get the most sleep if you co sleep and let the baby dream nurse... that's what I've found to work for us anyway.

Oatmeal has helped me...the real deal kind

I had a low supply at first and it took longer to come in good...doc said this could have been from traumatic birth and long healing process bc I had an open wound

Just keeeepppp trying...Ive wanted to give up and give in..;.and when I first came home with the open wound and was in terrible pain...I did supplement a few times but soon as I got better i just fed her allllll the time...I constantly had her at the breast while watching tv and everything...left her there till she let go...and i thing doing that help to get things rushing in
lovely_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fenugreek can give you gas, so take Blessed Thistle also to counteract that.

Any oatmeal is good, but the less processed the better, so steel cut oats are better than rolled (flat), which have more of the good stuffed pressed out of them.

Drink lots of water, rest when you can, nurse every 2 hours and pump afterwards. Good luck mama!

If all else fails, there's domperidone.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
McKnz
Registered Users

I was producing great until I had to go on antibiotics for a week and couldn't BF. That ruined everything.

The pump did not get enough milk out for me and I never experienced let down (either pumping or expressing manually) my supply almost dried up completely. So, pumping and bottle feeding may actually be working against you.

I understand why you would want to bottle feed to make sure your baby gets enough - I felt that way too. But, the more bottle you give baby, the more they become a "lazy" eater and expect the milk to flow faster than breast, and they don't have to suck hard at all with the bottle.

Psychologically, you see baby at your breast and you produce more.

Our pediatrician suggested Mother's Milk tea (which has fenugreek in it) and Fenugreek supplements. Both worked and were helpful to get my supply back up. Also, someone from the La Leche League suggested that when I feed, even if she is done, to leave my breast out and allow it to remain in contact with my baby (she actually sleeps on it sometimes) and this will foster that psychological and physical connection that tells my body to produce more milk. So far, it helps!

Hope that helps - good luck!

p.s. try not to be stressed while you are feeding - no one told me this, but I think the stress makes it harder.
McKnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Datamum
Registered Users

To save money I mix my own tea and drink it as often as I think of it. I mix fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds (bought in the bulk spice section), and I picked up alfalfa, red clover and goat's rue from a herbalist in bulk also to make my tea. I found it made a huge difference for me.

Fenugreek capsules bothered my guts, but the tea is much more appealing to me, and if I drink a couple cups a day I smell like maple.
Datamum is offline   Reply With Quote