Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
NewMom1210
Registered Users
seller

How long does your LO nurse?

My 5 week old nurses very irregularly! Sometimes he only nurses for 5 minutes and then falls asleep. I worry he's not getting enough during those first few minutes. Other times he might nurse for 15 minutes. Why the big difference?

Advertisement

NewMom1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
mom2caeley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long does your LO nurse?

i think they're all different. Do you have a breastfeeding clinic or Lactation consultant in your area. They can tell exactly how much they are eating. My daughter nursed for 45 min. on average . She had a bit of jaundice so we and to wake her on a strict schedule, otherwise she would sleep through feeds. My son (4months now) would eat every1 1/2 to 2 hours apart but only for 10-15 min. Trust me if he's just a fast nurser you are lucky!
5 weeks is still little, it gets soooooo much easier and you develop more of a routine
mom2caeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is doing the same thing (at only 2 weeks old) sometimes she feeds for 5 minutes before falling asleep and refuses to let the nipple in her mouth... and sometimes she'll nurse for 40 minutes! Needless to say, whatever 'schedule' I thought I was on, is out the window. lol
Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different, evey day. It's all good as long as baby is gaining and having enough wet and poopy diapers.

I like to remember that nursing is for: hunger, THIRST (we often forget that babies get thirsty, not only hungry- just like us), emotional reasons, and to say "I love you, Mom!!!"

I also remind myself that I often want a snack 10 minutes after a meal- especially when I'm nursing a baby!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS does the same thing, and he's almost 3 mos. I don't worry about it since he's growing an having enough wet and dirty diapers. I just let him nurse as much as he wants and don't force it. Unfortunately, (or maybe it IS fortunate?) he's not a comfort nurser so he only eats when he's hungry. If your LO is eating to satiety, is having enough wet and dirty diapers, and is gaining weight, I wouldn't worry at all. Some babies are just crazy.
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
stinkelein
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter is a little barracuda, she latches, nurse like mad, eats her fill and unlatches, sometimes in less than 10min, for a full meal. Other times she pops on for couple of minutes, falls asleep, and that is it. I think those little ones are just for comfort.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Human milk- the original comfort food!!!!!!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Leonore's Light
Registered Users
seller

Mine started falling asleep a few minutes after nursing when he was a few days old and I noticed he was blue so we went to the hospital. He has central apnea and is on oxygen now. He'll nurse anywhere from 15 min to an hour now.
Leonore's Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do try to change her diaper if she falls asleep too quickly...other times I know we are comfort nursing just to fall asleep so I let her. Depends on how well and when she ate last. During the night I try to wake her and get her to nurse better, but usually I just fall asleep too, haha!