Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
melliepie
Registered Users

Night Weaning

First off I'm an EPing Momma, second I need to wean my son off night feedings. He is going to be a year and I am going back to work and I'm stopping pumping on his first birthday. He is still getting up every 2 to 3 hours to eat and cuddle. My husband and I are pretty burnt out after a year of this. Anyways I need some advice on how to do this gently and effectively. Also he has reflux so he drinks 2.5 ounce or less at a time all day and night. He is on solids 3times a day, plus snacks and pretty much eats everything thats healthy. He is a great weight and a happy boy, its just he looks tired most of the time, and doesn't sleep well. Like last night he went to bed at 8, woke up crying at like 9,10,12:15,3:15,4:30,and than 6ish,than 7. We are all tired. So i'm hoping the night weaning will help us all get some much needed sleep. He does get 2 naps, one in morning and one late afternoon, both lasting 1to 2 hours. P.s if he does night wean, do you think he will take more during the day, even with the reflux?
I wish i didn't have to do this,but my job is high stress and for my sanity and health of all my family we NEED more sleep. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
tashaturservice
Registered Users

Re: Night Weaning

I read the book "The Baby Whisperer" and it helped me help my daughter fall asleep on her own and sleep for a long stretch at night. Hogg, the author, says that when your baby wakes and cannot put himself back to sleep, in your case, because he is used to snacking, you should pick him up, comfort him without nursing until he stops crying and his need for comfort has been met. Then you should lay him back down. Chances are he will start crying again, and you may need to do this several times, and when I say several, I mean a lot. You may also need to do this for several days. You may want to start doing this the first time he wakes up and then add more as he starts sleeping through the previous normal waking.

I don't know if this will work for every baby, but I did this with my daughter and it really worked with her. It is so hard to do this though because nursing is so much easier and quicker, but in the long run, when I was able to sleep for a longer stretch, I was overjoyed.

It makes sense to me that he would eat more during the day to make up for the night feedings he will be dropping.

Hope this helps
tashaturservice is offline   Reply With Quote