Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
zurilove27
Registered Users
seller

LO needs more milk while im at work...Introducing 1 solid in that time frame????

Okay, so I need some input. My daughter is approaching 6 months, and I have been EBF since birth. I go to work 4 days a week for 5 hours, and I pump once in that time frame. I usually get anywhere between 6-7oz, which she eats the next day. Obviously she is getting older, and drinking more in that time frame, therefore she needs more milk (Which means I will have to pump twice), or I can give her a solid to compensate for needing more milk. (She would get a solid, and a bottle, so that I only have to pump once). I am just wondering what solid I should give her,since it will only be once a day, or if I should just suck it up and pump two bottles. The only reason I am hesitant to pump two bottles is 1- Pumping is such a pain, but I of course will just have to deal with it, and 2-because if I pump twice, then I won't be getting the 6-7oz that I usually get when I pump once. Im thinking that 6-7oz is what i'll be getting total, or about that. The only reason I assume I get 6-7 oz in that period is because I only pump once.

I do not want to feed her solids any other time besides then. I definitely will not give her any rice cereal either, so by solid I mean fruits or veggies.

I hope this makes sense! Thanks for the input mamas!

Advertisement

zurilove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LO needs more milk while im at work...Introducing 1 solid in that time frame????

I think what I might try instead...although solids aren't going to hurt her if she is really ready...Not based on age but readiness.

all of these not just some
Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
•Baby can sit up well without support.
•Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
•Baby is ready and willing to chew.
•Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
•Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

I would try pumping on the days I am home with her in addition to letting ehr nurse during those work hours. I mean I would assume on the days you don't work you don't pump...you just nurse her. i would add a pumping then too to tell your body to make more and then I would pump twice at work for a few times. As far as only getting the normal amount that isn't necessarily true...your breast are never empty so even if you only get 1-2 more oz in the second pumping for the first or second time, it will increase each day you do it, because you are telling your body you need more.

If you are waiting to pump so that you will get a bunch of milk, you are actually telling your body to make less milk. The more often you pump the more milk you will make. Milk inhibitors in your milk, actually tell your body to make less milk after about 4 hours of not nursing, so if you go too long you will actually make less milk.

As a first food I would do fresh avacado, it is a wonderful first food full of healhty fats, protien, calcium and potassium.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LO needs more milk while im at work...Introducing 1 solid in that time frame????

She probably needs the two bottles whether or not there is a solid. My DS at 6 months would take smaller bottles (4-5 oz instead of 6-7) but still needed two of them. To help pumping output, try fenugreek and lots of water.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
zurilove27
Registered Users
seller

Thank you both. You are both very right. I think I am just going to have to start pumping twice! .
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
To really get a load of milk when I pumped (this takes practice or another set of hands) I would have my pump ready to go and nurse the baby on one side and when I felt a let down of milk I would pump like mad and empty the opposite side. Sometimes if I knew the baby wouldn't freak I would latch her on get her to help me get the let down then hand her over to hubby and I would madly pump both sides. It takes practice but it worked well for me. I would always be leaking like crazy on the opposite site and then one day I just thought hey I need that milk that's just pouring out the other breast. ?
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
zurilove27
Registered Users
seller

That is another great point!!! And one that will be a little easier since I can do it while im already nursing! Im loving the feedback!!! Keep it coming mamas!~! Thanks so much!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
dr_comer
Registered Users

Check out kellymom.com. This site really helped me as a working mom. It has tons of info on nursing/pumping/supply etc. It really helped me understand how lactation works. My DS has consumed the same amount of milk while at day care since 9 weeks, until he really go into solids. So he would take 3 (5.5 oz) bottles until around 7 months and then starting taking 3 (4oz) bottles. I remember calling my LC and asking howi was going to produce 9-10oz bottles because I was reading formula recommendations? She explained that your milk is not like formula that needs to be increased as your baby gets bigger. Because it's tailored for your baby the composition changes, not necessarily the quantity. All that being said, if you do want to get more milk, you have to pump more or nurse more. It's supply and demand, by pumping or nursing you tell your body you need more. I know pumping can sometimes be a pain (been at it for 8 months and I work 10-12h days, so I have to pump 4 times a day :/). HTH
Elexis
dr_comer is offline   Reply With Quote