Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease & Pregnancy - HELP!

My Niece was diagnosed with Hand, Foot and Mouth diease and of course had a sleep over last weekend

My 16 month old has had a "cold" for a while and is already on antibiotics for the cold. He now has a rash all over his hands which I suspect when we get to the Dr today they will tell us is the same disease.

Has anyone dealt with this before??? I know the Dr will answer some of these questions but I can't get there for a little while and would like some help from people who have been there.

I've done a little online research and the sites either say "it's no big deal" OR "it's highly contageous and sort of a big deal" OR "It's a very big deal and my newb could go into multiple organ failure!!!"

I am 30 weeks pregnant. We have two older children and the 16 month old. I read that I have to disinfect everything my son touches--- everything really??? How would I even do that, he touches EVERYTHING! Do I have to keep the older kids home? (Should I go get them from school???) Do I phone the church and tell them - we were there on Sunday? Anyone know how long the virus lives on surfaces? aaahhhhh

ETA- What about cloth diapers? I read somewhere that it is passed in stools for weeks - do I hang up the cloth?

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease & Pregnancy - HELP!

My DD has this right now and I am 22 weeks pg. We didn't even bother going to the doctor...I called and told them what was going on, they said, yep, that's HFM. It has to run it's course. She also told me that I'm okay being pg. It's kind of a big deal because it's really contagious, I guess, but otherwise it's not much to worry about. My DD must have a pretty mild case. She doesn't have any mouth sores, just hands and feet. She felt crappy for a day and a half, and is now just stuck at home until the rash is gone. She is totally fine though.

I'm not really a germ freak to begin with, so I'm not sanitizing everything in sight. The doc said that it's contagious when she has the rash, so I've been washing my hands more often, like after I touch her. I also have a 2yo and I figure if he gets it, he gets it. I'm not going to make myself crazy by trying to get the germs off of everything all day long. I guess you can do what you feel is better: clean clean clean or just be casual about it. But dont worry about being pg.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Thanks Mamawillow - we are almost ready to head to the Dr's office.
I couldn't possibly clean everything, I'm already on "tight duties" so to speak. I'm at risk for pre-term labour and physical activity causes my contractions.

I hope our kids don't catch it one after another we could be dealing with this for WEEKS.

My 16 month old has NO idea that he is "sick" he's just getting over a bad respiratory illness and he is feeling a lot better and trashing our house
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

HFM is something I've given up worrying about. I read that kids can be contagious with it for several months after they're 'over it', so there's no real avoiding it. DS had it while I was pregnant with DD, she's 4 months old now and we've had no problems.