Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: An hour to sleep...EVERY night?!

ds is 4 and this pretty much sums up our life. it bites. no suggestions though.

Advertisement

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all of the responses but what time is he napping? Another wonderful mama on here recently suggested I move DS's nap up earlier and that made all the difference in his bedtime routine.

Also, will he let you sit in his room but not lay with him? Or sit at his door? When we moved DS into his big bed this past fall, I didn't want to start a habit I had no intention of doing long term so I sat in the hallway at the top of our stairs. He could call to me and know I was there but I wasn't in the room. Now every night he says, "You sit in the hallway mom?" I say, "Sure honey" and I just go about my business. He knows I'm up there and that's all that matters to him.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
I just put him down for his nap. It took about half an hour. I wouldn't let him get out of bed. (kept laying him back down as soon as he'd move) and wouldn't nurse him/rock him. BOY was he ticked. I tried patting him a few times, and he refused. The last time he let me and it took him about 10 mins to calm his breathing and fall asleep, but he did! I think this is what I'm going to have to do! Then hopefully he'll learn that he needs to stay in bed until he falls asleep...and hopefully if he needs me to "pat him down" it won't take too long because he'll come to expect that.
Good that it worked! Getting naps on track was HUGE for us..... mine was taking forEVER to fall asleep and then only staying asleep about 45 minutes! Gah.... Once he started napping better everything in the night got better.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
doodah
Registered Users
seller

glad his nap went better!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnixon View Post
Good that it worked! Getting naps on track was HUGE for us..... mine was taking forEVER to fall asleep and then only staying asleep about 45 minutes! Gah.... Once he started napping better everything in the night got better.
Ah, well, for all of that he slept about 45 mins. lol. And then woke up and started pitching another fit because he wanted to nurse again, and I wouldn't let him. He couldn't go back to sleep...so after about half an hour of calming we went about our day. He did decent, luckily. He went down quicker tonight too, so we'll see.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
I haven't read all of the responses but what time is he napping? Another wonderful mama on here recently suggested I move DS's nap up earlier and that made all the difference in his bedtime routine.

Also, will he let you sit in his room but not lay with him? Or sit at his door? When we moved DS into his big bed this past fall, I didn't want to start a habit I had no intention of doing long term so I sat in the hallway at the top of our stairs. He could call to me and know I was there but I wasn't in the room. Now every night he says, "You sit in the hallway mom?" I say, "Sure honey" and I just go about my business. He knows I'm up there and that's all that matters to him.
I put him down anywhere from 11-12pm. He's actually "ready" for a nap by 10, 10:30, BUT, if I put him down then, he still only sleeps half an hour or so, and then he's up for the rest of the day w/no nap inbetween, and he's absolutely exhausted and behaving badly. I try to get him down for a 2nd nap on those days w/no luck, even though he's super tired. (once in a GREAT while he will.) He needs to sleep better all together....on the great occasion that he'll sleep through the night (10-11 hrs) he's so much brighter in the morning, and happier during the day. But more than half the time he wakes up a crab!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote