Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
emp1217
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I call my OB?

Hi mamas, looking for some opinions and experiences. I'm about 30 weeks into pregnancy #2, and have been feeling fantastic until the past 2 weeks. I started having Braxton Hicks, which will not go away unless I either sit or lie down. They are inconsistent, but I have some everyday, and one night they were about every 10 min apart for close to an hour, but then tapered off. Having a snack and drinking some water will also help decrease them, and I've also noticed that wrapping my belly up to support it helps as well. I didn't get BH until the last month of my last pg, so I wasn't sure what to think when they showed up so early. They are also more intense than I remember, although not as strong as early labor contractions. I've also been passing a lot of mucus throughout pg, and it has seemed to increase in this same time frame. And yesterday I noticed that I'm leaking a little colostrum, which again didn't happen until the last month of my last pregnancy...I've also been feeling really tired and drained and having headaches.

I'm wondering if either my dates are off, if these things just change and come earlier with subsequent pregnancies, or if this could possibly be some pre-term labor? Of course, the last time I had an OB appt these things hadn't started yet, and I'm not scheduled to go in again for another 2 weeks. I don't mind calling, but it's hard to predict when the contractions will hit or how long they will last for the OB to check out and I don't want to go in if all I'm going to hear is to get more rest, ya know? I'm already doing that. Anyway, just thought I'd see what other experienced mamas thought! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
juliemom2faith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I call my OB?

ok I am on my 4th pregnancy also due in april and I have been having BH contrax for over 2 months now. I am a lot more tired this time around, started leaking colostrum earlier this time around...everything seems to be earlier/stronger/more etc then my last pregnancies. so pretty sure it is normal but if you are worried i would suggest seeing your OB. I dont want to take the place of doctors advice.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
juliemom2faith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by juliemom2faith; 01-30-2011 at 09:45 AM.
juliemom2faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
emp1217
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not really worried, more curious...it's just so much different than my last pg and I didn't want to miss something important...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's normal. I am on my 4th PG and I am 26 weeks tomorrow. Yesterday I overdid it and had bhcx every 10 minutes until I took a shower and laid down. I just overdid it! It was like this w/ my twin PG starting around 20 weeks, I can't seem to remember on PG #2, but I do remember the BH starting sooner than they did w/ #1. I figure it's just my body's way to say slow down and take it easy The first thing you are supposed to do if you have several BH in an hour is to drink water and lay down. If they don't go away after an hour or two, then you need to worry! It could be a UTI or you could be dehydrated.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I started having BH contractions with dd #2 when I was about 28 weeks along. They were HORRIBLE. Painful, regular, would last for hours even if I did sit down and drink lots of water, and they would seem to cause some kind of dilation. I would check dilation myself and I was about 3 cm's from that point on. DD also dropped after the first stint of those contractions. I chose not to tell my doc. because they were intervention happy to the point of being dangerous. All ended up being fine and I went past my due date.

If I were you as long at the contractions stopped then I probably wouldn't bother my doc with it until my next visit.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Everything you are describing is totally normal. The last trimester is when your body starts to really gear up for labor. It's normal to experience lots of BH contractions, and they can sometimes even be painful. Also totally normal to feel super tired and exhausted. Both the BH and the exhaustion will continue to get worse until you give birth. Not the most comfortable situation, but it means your body is getting ready to birth your baby!!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote