Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Prescription Iron Pills...

I'm anemic and taking a prescription iron pill. I finally ran out of the Dr's samples she sent home and went to fill the script. Insurance won't cover it and it's $40 a bottle. Does anyone know what the difference is between prescription and over the counter iron pills? I've put in a call to my Dr., but they're closed because of the weather.I'm wondering if it's necessary to be taking such an expensive supplement, when they are available otc?

TIA!

Court

Advertisement

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prescription Iron Pills...

the only difference I can think of is the doseage. Just make sure your taking the same doseage of the OTC as is in the script.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmama2 View Post
the only difference I can think of is the doseage. Just make sure your taking the same doseage of the OTC as is in the script.
yes!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Generally the difference is that it's a different type of iron that is time release and "works better." It's also supposed to be gentler on your stomach, but in my experience it isn't true.

I'd still recommend getting Floradix iron because it works better and doesn't hurt your stomach or cause constipation.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
I'd still recommend getting Floradix iron because it works better and doesn't hurt your stomach or cause constipation.
Yeah that. I've been anemic with every single one of my pregnancies. With regular iron pills, I stay somewhat anemic and get constipated as heck. I always have great numbers when I take Floradix.

I actually did phlebotomy during one of my pregnancies. As part of that, we had to check 3 different hematocrits each day, including our own. It was crazy to see the difference between days when I hadn't been taking my Floradix and when I had! My RBC count would be soooo much higher!

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Ola_
Registered Users

I would suggest comparing the labels. I was taking iron pre-pregnancy because I was anemic (amazingly my iron seems to stay good while PG!) and used either Palafer or EuroFer and those are 300 mg each. Do you still have the package from the samples so you can see? There is also a slow release one, but I don't know how much is in it as I never used it.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote