Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hypnobabies??

This is my first time doing hypnobabies. So far I really like it but I need to get more serious on listening to the scripts and practicing the finger-drop technique. Every time I listen to the scrips it's usually on my ipod at bedtime and I'm asleep within the first few minutes.

Advertisement

/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
rsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I am going to start my program today, and I am 35 0/7 weeks today! I am flipping through the literature, and thinking there is no way I am going to get DH to do this...
Can it be done on my own?
My husband wasn't into it. I studied with tapes and hired a doula who does hypnosis. I'm not a good example for self-(or other) hypnosis, even though I have meditated for years, beause I have a very scattered/adhd brain. I did find the birthday tape helpful for the ride to the hospital. My doula just had me focus on keeping my thoughts "up here" and not interfering with what was going on "down there" - I started painful labor at 7 pm, was at a 5 at 8:30 pm, stood in the shower while laboring until 11:30 pm, was ready to push at 11:45 and delivered (in a tub) at 1:20 a.m. The nurse was really impressed by how quickly I went considering it was a first baby, and the midwife credited the hypnosis. I was extremely vocal (I was embarassed by how much I yelled) but otherwise it was really an amazing birth. So don't worry about having your husband's participation, just practice and try to seek out doula/midwife/nurse/md who is supportive of natural birthing and familiar with hypnobabies/hypnobirthing/whatever.
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
leeannie8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stephanie - My husband thought it was a joke when I asked him to read me my first script. I chose not to include him in my practice and moved forward doing them on my own with my ipod. I didnt have a doula or other support person besides my husbad. I listened to my ipod a little bit while in labor, but mostly practiced what I had learned without the scripts playing.

It can totally be done without a supportive husband. My husband was in awe after my birth and thought maybe he should have had a little more buy in to the program after seeing what it did for me!

Live in or around Colorado or not? Check out my money saving blog here.
leeannie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #24
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks LeeAnne, that is very reassuring!
I was reading the first section in the workbook, and read where it said it could be used without a support person or by a single mom. So, I think I will let him be as involved as he wants to be, but plan to use my earbuds and do it on my own. I think giving the nurses/midwives some sort of info would be most beneficial!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #25
anne1140
Registered Users
seller

I just started it yesterday, and I'm 25 weeks. DH was pretty skeptical (and still sort of is), but he says he's going to be as supportive as he can be.
anne1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #26
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm starting week 2 of the program, at 36 weeks. I am trying to be very non-judgmental, and keep an open mind.
I find reading the positive birth stories on the hypnobabies site reassuring that the program does work for lots of mommies.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used it and at 9 centimeters dialated I was laboring completely silent in the birthing pool. All the midwives, doula, students were amazed at how calm I was as a first time mom. Only issue I had was that I became so relaxed that my contractions completely stopped and my cervix started to thicken and close. At that point, we had to get me out of the hypnotic mindset to get things moving (lots of movement and exercise) and it was hard for me to stay focused and relax. Thats the only time things got unbearable. Other than that, it was awesome-definitely planning on it for the second babe. The only thing I would suggest is that if you relax yourself as well as I did ( so much so that your labor stops), then use hypnobabies techniques to get things rolling again. Maybe my case is unique-I teach hypnotherapy so I may just be predisposed to being very relaxed (relaxing myself so much I convinced my body I wasnt in labor-weird).
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #28
crunchy kell
Registered Users
seller

DD #1 = epidural with minor complications (spinal headache)
DD #2 = Hypnobabies, natural birth.

The differences were astounding! With the epidural birth, I was very groggy, tired, and sick afterward. Moving was difficult, and I never left the hospital bed if I didn't have to. I got home, and the s-l-o-w recovery continued. Slowly. After my HB birth, they told me I needed to go to the bathroom before moving to the mother/baby unit. I jumped off the bed and walked to the bathroom without thinking a thing of it.

Transition is transition. It's not the pain of it that will knock you off your feet; it's what the fear of it does to you that can kill. One of the HB birthing track affirmations says something about, "I am safe, no matter how much power courses through my body." Just remember that, and feel safe. That's all the unsolicited advice I have to dispense!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy kell View Post
DD #1 = epidural with minor complications (spinal headache)
DD #2 = Hypnobabies, natural birth.

The differences were astounding! With the epidural birth, I was very groggy, tired, and sick afterward. Moving was difficult, and I never left the hospital bed if I didn't have to. I got home, and the s-l-o-w recovery continued. Slowly. After my HB birth, they told me I needed to go to the bathroom before moving to the mother/baby unit. I jumped off the bed and walked to the bathroom without thinking a thing of it.

Transition is transition. It's not the pain of it that will knock you off your feet; it's what the fear of it does to you that can kill. One of the HB birthing track affirmations says something about, "I am safe, no matter how much power courses through my body." Just remember that, and feel safe. That's all the unsolicited advice I have to dispense!
I am hoping to have a 2nd labor/delivery like yours using hypnobabies. Can't wait for our tax return to come back so I can order it.

I had a labor like your 1st when I delivered DS. All the same problems with the epi that you had. I was so groggy. I remember a few weeks after he was born watching the video my DH had taken of us after DS was born and I was talking on the phone to my coworker and I don't remember one second of that phone call. I don't remember even talking to her. Plus it made DS a little sleepy and we had a hard time with him latching at first.

So I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hypnobabies course and starting it and then using it during labor/delivery.

Thank you for sharing your experience
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote