Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
cotton09
Registered Users
Formerly: cotton_all_the_way
seller

wool making me stressed

So I love wool and only use that for quite some time now. I have size medium baby beehinds wool and though its big on baby, it never leaked (it is quite thick and felted). I do have one wrap that I bought on etsy and i SOMETIMES have issues with it. I JUST lanolized it, and though it did not leak per se, it would have soon since the outside of it was that darker color it gets when it is wet. Baby pooped and I had a prefold so I had to spot clean the wrap anyway and get it wet.

What can I do to super lanolize? I think I did it all right. If I put too much eucalan with that hurt? I didn't think so since some people claim thats all they use to lanolize.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement

cotton09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
cotton09
Registered Users
seller

Re: wool making me stressed

anyone?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just put my lanolizing instructions in this thread. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1152910

IMO, woolies still need a good lanolizing monthly, and Eucalan just keeps that lanolin from washing out everytime. I use lansinoh, since I have tubes lying around anyway. For overnight/tempermental woolies I occasionally use even more lanolin, like an inch long squirt to 2-3 gallons of water. If your wrap has more than 3-5% of another fabric besides wool, then it may just be prone to leakiness.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

A lot depends on the quality of what's under the wool (DD would soak through a PF & the wool in about 45 min)...but also the wool itself & the quality of it. I only use double-layer or felted interlock overnight; lighter weight stuff is fine for daytime; recycled is hit-or miss. I'd say I generously lanolize my wool; 1/4 teaspoon lanolin (w/ baby wash) to a sink of water for 3-4 soakers/longies. I've over-lanolized my wool before & I really dislike the tacky feeling I get on my hands when I touch over-lanolized wool...plus, it means that lanolin is coating the wool fibers, decreasing the absorbency of the wool.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried using the lanolin from a tube?
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
cotton09
Registered Users
seller

Yes I used the lansinoh......from what I am reading, the wrap is probably not good,....its probably recycled.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's not that it's bad, it's just that some recycled is lighter weight (all mine is, but it's a-freakin-dorable)...and most sweaters for recycling come from thrift stores (Goodwill & the like). In my experience, tags are missing a lot & sometimes you're guessing at whether it's untreated wool or superwash, which isn't as good for covers...I don't know where you got the one you have, but there can be unknowns w/ recycled wool. OTOH, I have a couple of super-duper heavy wool sweaters I want to make into longies (or shorties) when I get the hang of the sewing machine again, and I have no doubt that they would be heavy enough for night use.