Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preventing a pos strep b test

Also diet... sugar OUT is what I've been told

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
carlyq12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
I know that in Canada, you can deny this swab and avoid the whole stress altogether! You can be negative the day of the test and positive the next day anyway (or vice versa), so it really doesn't tell your care provider much. I denied it with my last pregnancy as a positive result only means a lot more interventions and time limits when you go into labour.
In Canada you are allowed to deny the swab? what happens if your are GBS unknown at birth? If you end up in hospital for whatever reason (if you have homebirth) do they give antibiotics to baby anyways? That is my worry.
carlyq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Ola_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyq12 View Post
In Canada you are allowed to deny the swab? what happens if your are GBS unknown at birth? If you end up in hospital for whatever reason (if you have homebirth) do they give antibiotics to baby anyways? That is my worry.
Yes, you can opt out of the swab. I got a lot of info on this from my midwives as we are at that point in my pregnancy. If you are negative then you are all clear, but if you are positive then either in the hospital or at home you can opt out of the antibiotics. However if you haven't tested the hospital assumes you to be positive and if you don't get the full course of antibiotics they can take the baby to the special nursery for monitoring and give them the abx.

We are planning a homebirth but in case we need to go to hospital I decided to do the test. If it is negative then it will give me a little peace of mind that they won't hassle me about the baby getting it. And if it's positive then having tested won't matter as they would have assumed that with no test anyway. Interestingly enough my midwives apparently can do an IV for the antibiotics at home too (not that I'm going to get it but I thought it was interesting).
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
TrishB
Registered Users
seller

I tested positive for a UTI at 10 weeks and they sent it out to be cultured and it was GBS causing the UTI. My midwife said they won't do the GBS swab and I'll have to get antibiotics during labor. I'm not planning on laboring long in the hospital, so I'm sure there won't be enough time. I'm also going to ask that they test me around 38 weeks and pray it's negative. I've increased my probiotics and will be looking into other things to ensure a negative test! I do not like the thought of more antibiotics or antibiotics for my baby right after they are born!
TrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

I'm curious to see how this works for everyone. GBS is such a bizarre concept to me... Last year, months before I was even pregnant, I tested positive and was put on antibiotics. I couldn't even get a clear answer as to why they would test me for it, just that I should treat it because it can cause UTI's.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieintraining View Post
Also diet... sugar OUT is what I've been told

By this do you mean "sugar is out" or "sugar your little heart out"
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyq12 View Post

Here, they don't administer antibiotics to the baby unless there is reason. If you test positive, but don't receive the antibiotics, they just want you to stay 48 hours instead of 24 hours, so the baby can be monitored.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #18
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't say for sure whether it effected things one way or another, but I did a hibiclense rinse a couple hours before my swab, and I tested negative.
It's worth a shot. Last time I had preterm labor and hadn't been tested for it, so they gave me antibiotics as standard protocol, and the resulting yeast/thrush issues that haunted us for months was unbearable. I had no interest in doing a repeat, so I did hibiclense.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote