Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #41
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have problems with Charlie's soap?

ACK whyd you dump it out? it works great for other laundry too!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
prettypixels
Registered Users

Personally I don't think a rash like this comes from a diaper just not being clean enough. There are mamas who post all the time about dipes not coming quite perfectly clean, having to rewash, etc etc etc... they don't have BURN-like rashes. They might get a rash, but burns and blisters??? Only mamas using CHARLIE's soap talk about having burn-like rashes! (I have actually heard the same thing about Sports Wash, and they are owned by the same company I believe.) I don't know exactly what the issue is, but I find it horrifying that we are talking about something which leaves actual scars on the genitals of so many babies. I don't understand why the company is not addressing this issue and fixing it!
prettypixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #43
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my issue with that line of thinking is that why arent All, and Tide, and purex, etc addressing the issue of killing fish, and causing huge blisters and open sores on DD and myself when we used them? even the free and clear.
Charlies themselves have not stated their product is specifically for diaper washing.
in fact if you read above, from their website they have stated that their formula contains NO antibacterial agents.
its moms like myself who find the detergent to be such an amazing product, for all laundry, and diapers, etc that suggest people use it on diapers.
i DO think its terrible that there are babies that are having these horrible, painful, and scarring rashes. especially because its happening when their diapers are being washed in what i consider, for our family, to be a miracle.
i have to say that the issue with the company baffles me.
why have an issue with a company for something they arent having control over?
i do know that the company is trying to look into why the rashes are happening and is very sorry that they ARE happening. i have talked via PMs on MDC to Charlies son.
but to be angry at them because they arent saying in huge bold letters "dont use our product on any diapers because some babies get bad rashes" would be like me getting mad at ALL other detergent manufacturers for not stating on their products "do not use of you have eczema, our detergent could give you big open sores that take a long time to heal" one must do their own research and make their own choices, either by word of mouth, or experience, etc when making a purchase.

maybe i am just a bit on the defense of Charlies because they have been a savior to mine and DDs skin time and time again.
because they are a fabulous company with amazing customer service, and have answered many questions i have had, and its been our lil savior in a 5gallon bucket.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #44
HappyHeinys
Registered Users

Tiffany the difference is that Tide, Era, and everything else cause a NORMAL excema type rash. Typically red, dry rash. We are talking about a BURN. Blisters so bad they leave scars, penises so red and swollen that the boys cry when they pee. This is not JUST a rash. If it were then it would be completely different.
No charlies and atsko do not say they are the best products but they do say they are residue free. This means that a mom using their product, with no knowledge of it having potential issues, will look at their product last as the cause of the BURN. Even I did the same thing, because it is not the typical detergent rash that you would expect with any other detergent.
The complaints and pictures I have received have only come from these 2 companies products. I have not seen a single other picture of a severe burn on a childs genitals from any other soap/detergent. Only these 2.
If they work for you then great, please keep using them. I am not trying to stop anyone from using the product that works for them.
But if you use them and notice at anytime a redness immediately stop before it turns into a burn. You will forever feel responsible for the scars on your child. I say forever because it so far has been 4 years and you can still see the scars on my dd and I still feel as though it is my fault because it was at that time that we started recommending atsko sportwash/sensiclean and we were testing it.
With this type of problem I do highly expect that these companies will look into things. As I said before since Charlies removed their recommendation for using bleach when cleaning their diapers I have less respect for them as a company then I did before.
I have been accused of being on a witch hunt when it comes to these companies, but as long as I have continued proof of these products continuing to cause burns and blisters I will continue to open my mouth.

Once again, if your child has been affected by these detergents, please do the right thing and file a report with the CPSC. You will file it online, then they will send it to you for you to sign and return to them. You must do this. It is the way to legally make things right. www.cpsc.gov
www.happyheinys.com
HappyHeinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #45
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no, tide, era, purex, etc do not cause normal typical rashes on us. they give us oozing weeping sores. i cant wash my clothing or bedding or any linens in a machine that has been used by someone else with different detergent without stripping the machine with Charlies first.

i agree that Charlies should have a warning about needing to use something liek bleach, tto, gse, etc. however they linked 9 different websites that do mention needing something to disinfect diapers.

so, i personally find the company amazing.
and the product amazing, as do many other moms.
and there are quite a few moms, moms of children who have been burned and ahve gotten blisters and scars, that find the company a terrible beast.

i cant spend my time telling everyone who uses other detergents not to use them for their laundry if they have eczema because it MIGHT give them oozing sores that are prone to infections.

i think the disclaimer needs to be said once about Charlies, then let the consumer decide on their own after doing their own research, maybe even calling Charlies themselves.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #46
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought Charlies and loved it at first, then about 3 weeks after beginning to wash dipes in it they started to have ammonia buildup- I believe it is a combination of urine, our water, & Charlies that caused the ammonia. DS3 was waking up in the morning with a red bum- his overnight dipes were the worst and were starting to get to the point of making your eyes water. I stopped using Charlies a few weeks ago and he still has a red spot next to his penis. I don't think the Charlies was getting the inserts clean enough- even though they smelled perfectly clean right out of the dryer!
I don't blame Charlies- every cd mama knows that there is a magical formula that you must search for to get your diapers consistently clean after EVERY wash. Maybe it's a ph thing with each person's water- with what minerals are in it & whether it is hard or soft. Also some people have front loader washers and some top loading. Some people soak, some people wash every other day, some every 3 days- etc...
Detergents and wash routines that work for one person- won't work for another- I think Charlies is worth a try and the sample pack would be great for that!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote