Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
low carb "real" whole food recipes?

I need to find some yummy recipes for meals and snack that are low carb but not made with processed/packaged foods or artificial sweeteners. I cook from scratch almost always. I am not eliminating carbs just cutting back. I am a carb junkie and would eat carbs all day long if I could but I am at a stand still with my weight loss and I think if I cut back on the amount of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes I eat it will help. Or at least I hope it does. I cut back on sugar first and that went great but now I am just yo-yo-ing up a lb, down a lb.
I do eat whole wheat bread and buy a mix of reg. and whole wheat/grain pastas. But want to cut back a little on that as well. It seems everything I like of eating includes bread or pasta or rice. I also do not eat a lot of meat, I know that makes low carb a bit more difficult. I eat meat it's just that I don't buy just any grocery store meat I buy my chicken and beef from local farmers and it is more expensive but worth it to me. I can't get grass fed beef at the grocery store so I don't buy a ton of meat but I am willing to buy a little extra than our normal amount for family dinners so I can add more protein to other meals.

Okay so help me enjoy eating low carb, steamed broccoli gets old....fast! I need to look up the carb count for beans because I like to cook with beans when we are not having meat for protein but not sure which beans are good for low carb.

Any ideas, recipes ? TIA

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Re: low carb "real" whole food recipes?

I've been using cauliflower rice lately - very good - even tried it on my cauli-hating DH tonight and he liked it! Basically you just take and cut a head of cauliflower and pulse it in your food processer til it looks like rice texture. Then I put it in my micro rice steamer and cook it for 5 minutes with nothing else added - volia - you have great rice! You can use this in fried rice, or anything else or eat plain - very suprisingly yummy. I know many people use the cauli mashed for potatos and such but I haven't tried that yet. Here is a great looking recipe for low carb pizza crust but I haven't tried this yet either....

http://www.diaryofamodernmatriarch.c...zza-crust.html