Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second Baby Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxychic247 View Post
Hi Mamas...

I'm expecting my second baby (a boy!) due 5/30, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things that are especially important with baby number 2. Baby number 1 will be turning 2 the week baby is due. Here are a few of my thought that I'd love to have input (other than that from my Mom and mother in law....!)

1) My daughter is still in a crib and sleeps beautifully, with no efforts to climb out... Am I crazy to leave her in her crib and fuss with moving her to a big bed once baby transitions to the crib from the bassinet/co-sleeper? Babies will be sharing a room (probably) for some amount of time at least once new baby moves out of mom and dad's room...

2) Is it asking for trouble to try and start potty training my 20 month old now? She tells us when she goes poo, but that's about all. She is very verbal, and I think she *could* do it, I just don't know that it's worth it to try really hard now to have setbacks on down the road...

3) Any gear suggestions that were lifesavers for baby number 2 (or subsequent ones)? I have already picked up a double stroller (Baby Jogger City Mini from Craigslist), and have plenty of newborn boy clothes and diapers... working on a few more covers for the newbie... but diapering is nearly "under control" I think.

I'd love any advice/input! Thanks!
My DS will be 20 months when his borther is born. He also used to sleep well in his crib, but we got him a twin bed, and got a rail for it and I think he actually sleeps better in the big bed! He is 14 months. I have also considered potty training him before little brother comes... I'm going to wait until he's 18 months, and if it's not time yet, we'll know for sure! He's starting to tell me that he's pooped, and I think he knows when he needs to, but doesn't have control of wether it comes out or not!

Advertisement

luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second Baby Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxychic247 View Post
Hi Mamas...

I'm expecting my second baby (a boy!) due 5/30, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things that are especially important with baby number 2. Baby number 1 will be turning 2 the week baby is due. Here are a few of my thought that I'd love to have input (other than that from my Mom and mother in law....!)

1) My daughter is still in a crib and sleeps beautifully, with no efforts to climb out... Am I crazy to leave her in her crib and fuss with moving her to a big bed once baby transitions to the crib from the bassinet/co-sleeper? Babies will be sharing a room (probably) for some amount of time at least once new baby moves out of mom and dad's room...

2) Is it asking for trouble to try and start potty training my 20 month old now? She tells us when she goes poo, but that's about all. She is very verbal, and I think she *could* do it, I just don't know that it's worth it to try really hard now to have setbacks on down the road...

3) Any gear suggestions that were lifesavers for baby number 2 (or subsequent ones)? I have already picked up a double stroller (Baby Jogger City Mini from Craigslist), and have plenty of newborn boy clothes and diapers... working on a few more covers for the newbie... but diapering is nearly "under control" I think.

I'd love any advice/input! Thanks!

I'm all for letting my toddlers stay in their crib as long as possible, mainly because they seem to nap better in there and I don't have to worry about them roaming during the night. If they start trying to climb out then I move them to a big bed, but I've been lucky in that most of mine haven't been climbers and have been happy to stay in their cribs till close to 3yrs old. We co-sleep for the first few to several months depending on baby's nursing/sleep style, but we also have a Delta Mini Crib in our room for naps and eventually I start putting the baby in there more and more at night. Then once they're not nursing through the night I move them into the big crib in their room. This time around our youngest will be 31mos when this baby comes. At 28mos he's still doing great in his crib, not climbing out, and taking long naps everyday. He shares a room with his 10yo brother who sleeps in a bunk bed. Eventually 10yo will move to top bunk, toddler will move to bottom bunk, and this baby will move to the crib, but I'm thinking that probably won't be till next fall. In the meantime, baby will co-sleep with us or be in the mini crib in our room.

I'm super laid back about potty training. We usually wait till we're 99.9% sure they will be successful with minimal effort. This is one of those pick your battles wisely things imo. Some of mine have been ready as young as a little over 2yrs, and a few not till closer to 3yrs. We start talking it up a little while before we actually start. Saying things like, "soon you'll be going in the potty like big brother/sister" and "you'll have big boy/girl undies and no more diapers", just think, "you'll be so big". That kind of thing. Then when the time comes we take them to the store to pick out some big boy/girl undies. I like the thinner ones, so that they know right away if they're having an accident. Ime, they do not like the feeling of wetness running down their legs, and it usually only happens once as it's a good motivator to stop what they're doing and make it in time the next time. We also buy a package of M&Ms or Reese's Pieces. They get 1 for going #1 and 2 for going #2. We don't usually have candy around, so this is a big treat for them, and it's amazing how motivating and exciting it is for them. Usually by the time the bag is gone they are going so well on their own that they no longer need the motivator. We never scold or make a big deal of accidents, usually they don't have more than one, maybe two because we've waited till they are really ready anyway. I've never had one regress after a new baby comes. I plan on trying to get our 2yo potty trained before this baby arrives. I think he could do it now really, as his verbal skills are high and he can easily pull up/down his own pants, and he's very aware of when he's going. I'm just waiting another month or so till the weather starts warming up and he can go around in a shirt and undies. We still do pull-ups or diapers for naps/nighttime/long outtings for a while though.

I don't have any big suggestions for gear, other than maybe a diaper bag that is good for two. Or, what I like to do is have one smaller bag for the toddler and the regular bag for the baby. That's so when we go to church if I have to get up to nurse baby, I don't leave dh with no bag for the toddler. Or, if the toddler goes to class he needs his own bag too.

I also 2nd the suggestion of setting up a nursing station with snacks, phone, nursing pads, diapers, burp rags, etc. When we just had little ones we totally did the paper plates, etc too. Now, I have older ones that cook and do dishes, so we don't mess with it. But, it was definitely a lifesaver years ago, as were freezer meals.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote