Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homemade yogurt

Have any of you done this before? Any recipes? I"ve read that it's simple I just can't remember details. I'm going to search too...just looking for RL experiences. I'm going to get some milk and a container of yogurt as part of it. I have a donvier yogurt maker thing (for storing it x amt of hours) that holds 6 containers I think. Any other ingredients for easy recipe?

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
OrganicMom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Homemade yogurt

I have a yogurt maker and we make yogurt a lot. Mine makes 32 oz. I heat 32 oz of milk to between 190 and 200 degrees (adding in 1/4 cup of dry milk as it's warming), then cool it to between 100 and 110 (pour it into a different container helps speed this along). Then add in 1/2 cup of plain, unflavored yogurt and stir very gently. Put it all in the yogurt maker and leave it for 5 hours (up to 10 hours if you want more tart yogurt). You can save 1/2 cup out to make a new batch, but make it within 5 days. You can add flavors after it's cooled. We like adding vanilla and honey. Or pureed fruits! We just made yogurt popcicles today!
♥ Check out my very large FSOT and ISO list. I LOVE trades. ♥
OrganicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks organicmom! Do I need to stir frequently as I'm adding the dry milk? I'm not sure how much mine makes...I'd have to look when I get home.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
OrganicMom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
Thanks organicmom! Do I need to stir frequently as I'm adding the dry milk? I'm not sure how much mine makes...I'd have to look when I get home.
I stir frequently as I'm heating it on the stove anyway, otherwise it starts to stick.

You also want to make sure the milk doesn't boil
♥ Check out my very large FSOT and ISO list. I LOVE trades. ♥
OrganicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=OrganicMom;1218457]I have a yogurt maker and we make yogurt a lot. Mine makes 32 oz. I heat 32 oz of milk to between 190 and 200 degrees (adding in 1/4 cup of dry milk as it's warming), then cool it to between 100 and 110 (pour it into a different container helps speed this along). Then add in 1/2 cup of plain, unflavored yogurt and stir very gently. QUOTE]

I heat my milk in a pickle jar in a large pot. I set the pickle jar on a veggie steamer to keep it from rattling on the pot and fill the pot with water (to about 1-2" from top of jar). Heat but don't boil the milk. Use a thermomiter and a keep the spoon in the jar to sterilze it with the milk. For cooling I cover the jar (with the spoon still in it) with tin foil then poke the thermomiter through it. I don't have a "yogurt maker" per say so to incubate I wrap the jar in two socks filled with rice and microwaved until hot. Then put it (jar and socks) in an old insulated soft sided lunch sack to sit for about 8 hours. Works every time. You could even use old baby food jars too as long as you sterilized them before pouring the scaled milk into them. I learned to make yogurt from the Super Baby Food book. It is a wonderful resource for making baby food and healthy adult food too!
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume

Last edited by susansabrina; 06-04-2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: update
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas, I tried it last night and some turned out and some didn't. My yogurt maker has 7 jars which hold 8-9oz each. It probably would be best to do 8 oz (makes measuring easier since 8oz is a cup and so forth). Anyhow i used 56oz milk...which probably was way too much...but I knew that 32oz wouldn't be enough (my yogurt maker came from goodwill and there were no instructions). In that I increased the powdered milk and yogurt so I'm not sure if I did it exactly right or not...I'll be tweaking it soon though. After all was said and done I poured into all the containers and put the lids on them. One lid was kind of cracked. I had some left over so I put into the empty yogurt container with lid, partial baby bottle filled with the mixture and a sippy cup filled up. I had to use what I had. lol. Anyhow I let it sit for 10 hours and the only that actually formed to solid texture is the yogurt container and the little bit that was poured in the baby bottle. It did taste good. All the mixture in the containers from yogurt maker were still very much liquid this morning. :-( I put a towel over everything...not sure what for but it made me feel better. lol.

If i wanted to make enough just using the yogurt maker (which did keep it warm but I dont' know why it didn't form solid, kwim?) jars w/ lids, I'd need approximately 56oz of milk but wasn't sure on the exact amount of unflavored yogurt and powdered milk to use.

Thanks for your tips ladies...I'll be making more and trying to perfect it. It was fun though!!

I may just bite the bullet and make for 32 oz and use whatever I have until the jars are filled up
Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=susansabrina;1219689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMom View Post
I have a yogurt maker and we make yogurt a lot. Mine makes 32 oz. I heat 32 oz of milk to between 190 and 200 degrees (adding in 1/4 cup of dry milk as it's warming), then cool it to between 100 and 110 (pour it into a different container helps speed this along). Then add in 1/2 cup of plain, unflavored yogurt and stir very gently. QUOTE]

I heat my milk in a pickle jar in a large pot. I set the pickle jar on a veggie steamer to keep it from rattling on the pot and fill the pot with water (to about 1-2" from top of jar). Heat but don't boil the milk. Use a thermomiter and a keep the spoon in the jar to sterilze it with the milk. For cooling I cover the jar (with the spoon still in it) with tin foil then poke the thermomiter through it. I don't have a "yogurt maker" per say so to incubate I wrap the jar in two socks filled with rice and microwaved until hot. Then put it (jar and socks) in an old insulated soft sided lunch sack to sit for about 8 hours. Works every time. You could even use old baby food jars too as long as you sterilized them before pouring the scaled milk into them. I learned to make yogurt from the Super Baby Food book. It is a wonderful resource for making baby food and healthy adult food too!

Thanks for the tips...I think i still have some used baby food jars I never got rid of. I also have some plastic ones I kept too. We made our baby food but this is my first attempt at yogurt