Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Plugged duct?

A couple hours ago I noticed a tender lump in my right breast, not right beneath my nipple, but about halfway toward my armpit. I've been nursing, pumping, applying warm compresses, and massaging the spot like crazy. Now it hurts way more than it did (though still not too bad when I just leave it alone). Unfortunately it's in a spot where I can't really point DS's chin toward the plug. I read on either kellymom.com or llli.org that it should hurt more when nursing, but that's not the case (at least not yet). I don't have any other symptoms at this time. I'm really hoping to avoid a Dr visit since we just switched to a new insurance carrier with a $1000 deductible, so I'd have to pay out of pocket for the visit and treatments.

Now I know there are some mamas on here who have had this happen. Does it sound like a plugged duct to you? I'd love any words of advice and encouragement that you mamas have to offer.

Oh, and FYI, DS is 3 months old. After the first few weeks of figuring things out, we haven't had any issues with BFing up til now. He's also been going thru a growth spurt and nursing frequently, so it wouldn't have been caused by engorgement or going too long between nursing sessions.

TIA mamas!

Advertisement

blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Plugged duct?

Sounds like it could be a clogged duct. I had this happen with my first son and the thing that helped the most was to get in the shower with the water REALLY hot and let it run over my breast while I massaged it. Hope you get rid of it soon
hminor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
aturnbg
Registered Users
seller

How are you feeling now? I was going to say the same thing as the woman above. Stop massaging it for abit to if it's tender. Keep nursing, I think thats the best way to get it to go away.
aturnbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnbg View Post
How are you feeling now? I was going to say the same thing as the woman above. Stop massaging it for abit to if it's tender. Keep nursing, I think thats the best way to get it to go away.
LOL I think massaging it is what made it so sore in the first place

I gave up on that yesterday and it's still tender, but not really sore anymore. I still feel a lump there, but am starting to doubt that it was a plugged duct in the first place. If it were, wouldn't it continue to get more painful as it gets more and more engorged?

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good. It's less tender than it was yesterday. I did take a nice hot shower and let the water run over it, which felt nice. And I've been offering that side to DS first at most feedings (although he prefers the other side and sometimes cries if I try to give him my right ).

Thanks for the advice and support ladies, it is much appreciated!
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
liaooo
Registered Users
seller

When I first got plugged ducts I think I did too much damage massaging them too vigorously. Bruised the area! Plugged ducts sometimes mildly bother me for a few days after I have them, then eventually I forget them then they're gone. If you start to feel fluish or sick or run a temperature, get to the doc! The plugged duct has turned into mastitis. Don't suffer from mastitis a minute longer than you have to, it's really awful. It took 2 bouts of it for me to realize that the plugged duct + flu chills was not the flu, but mastitis. Duh!
liaooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Keep nursing and take a hot shower and massage it! I take Lecithin to keep clogs away, but I get them frequently.
momof2littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Wendy Gallagher
Registered Users

My Mood:

apply cold cabbage leaves for pain and swelling... a natural inflamation buster. warm compresses, try different nursing positions, like side lying to help baby help you...
Wendy Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had that a months ago. I even had a fever to go along with it. I massaged and hand expressed after a long hot bath. I also took some advil for the pain and fever and by the next couple days it was gone.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to get them a lot! What worked for me was what you said, offer the affected side to baby first, when he is hungrier so he suckles harder, and then instead of massaging, just push the palm of your hand against the plug, upstream, IYKWIM, and just gently apply pressure while baby is eating. That will help put back pressure on the plug as baby is pulling from the other side, and hopefully that will pull out the plug. Be careful with cabbage leaves, they are often used to help dry up women who are weaning!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote