Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advice about exercise and BF...

I started working out about 4 weeks ago, baby was about 2.5mo old..Nothing major, max of 30min, and no more than every other day. It's just strength training, no cardio or aerobics or anything that even left me winded. I haven't changed my diet any...I've been desperate to get my body back after 6+years of pregnancy and nursing...So I'm just starting to see results even though I haven't lost a pound, when my milk supply just doesn't seem to cut it. I was oversupplying before and now he wails at me when they're empty and wants more...I don't think it's just a growth spurt. I've been nursing him every 30min to 1 hour for a few days with no results...I skipped my workout for the last 2 days, but I'm lazy by nature and I know that if I don't keep the workout as part of my routine I doubt I'll be able to pick it up again...

Help...I wanna keep my routine, but it's not more important than my baby. I don't wanna use formula...Is there anything I can do to increase my supply and keep my workouts.?...

HELP....

Advertisement

Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Re: Need advice about exercise and BF...

hmmm I have not heard about exercise impacting milk supply.
My advice to up your supply - Drink lots of water, and maybe add in mothers milk tea. You could start taking Fenugreek to see if that helps too.
But it may also just be that your body is adjusting to his requirements, you don't want to have an over supply all of the time. And your DS just likes it better when the milk flows faster.
Have you tried pumping after you think you are "empty" to see what is left? For me, my DS just didn't like to work as hard once my supply actually adjusted to what his needs were.

It is GREAT that you are getting out to exercise for so many reasons! Great for your body, mind and soul.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Exercise does not affect milk supply, it's an old wives tale. Most moms have an oversupply at first, and it usually regulates somewhere between 4-6 months. It could be a growth spurt on his part, they usually last several days. I would wait it out a few days and see how his behavior is and go from there.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, but I don't think I was very clear...I know my supply is limited...I have BF 4 children and dealt with a myriad of issues over the years. I'm nursing and in a AA cup bra. So when I say there's nothing left I am certain there is nothing left. I'm not an active person by nature, I've never had the energy. I'm very small framed, at 3mo PP I weigh 130...I never lose weight until baby is about 6 mo and then I come back to my natural weight of about 123 where I stay...So I wasn't working out to lose weight. I was strength training in the hopes of feeling better and having a more active lifestyle, with some luck my achy joints would finally give me a break. It was starting to work too...Whiplash from a car accident 9yrs ago was starting to improve...
Kezoo I had originally thought it was a wives tail too, but I can personally attest that the only thing I'm doing different is exercise and my supply is definitely depleting...I have seen my boy go through growth spurts and I understand his cues, though that may even play a part, it is not the key issue...
What I really need is something I can try to help increase my supply at least for the time being. I have stopped my strength training for now, but once my supply comes back up I will resume as long as it holds out...
IYO should I be consuming the extra calories a day that I seem to be burning off? My husband loves the gym and believes that the protein that should be going to my milk is instead being used to repair muscles, and should be supplemented...Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jaxence; 02-07-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmmm, interesting theory of your dh. I don't know one way or the other on that one, but it does make sense that you need to increase your calories between working out and trying to make milk. In regard to increasing your supply, there's the obvious of feed as much as possible (sounds like you are already doing that), make sure you are drinking plenty of water, try eating oatmeal for breakfast, drink a heavy beer at night (the hops & B vitamins are good for your supply), Brewer's yeast (try googling lactation cookie recipe), herbal supplements Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle (check Dr. Jack Newman's site for dosage information - you have to take a lot for it to work), and last resort, you can try Domperidone (digestive drug which has the side effect of increasing prolactin levels). If you are interested in Dom, check out www.inhousepharmacy.com, it's totally legal to order from overseas. I ended up on Dom with my third (my supply always seems to tank around 9 months, and it tanked drastically w/ #3), and I stayed on it for about 6 months and didn't notice any side effects (I was on a low dose, though, only 3 pills/day). GL!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanx a ton Kezoo...I'll look into those..I think I'll take it slow getting back onto a schedule...With any luck I won't have these issues again...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
rowjenny
Registered Users
seller

more water and more calories would be where i would start. good for you for taking care of yourself! its so hard to do that with a new babe.
rowjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
rowjenny
Registered Users
seller

also, maybe you could try something like yoga or pilates, which is still strengthening/toning, but maybe isn't as hard on your body as strength training?
rowjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
amglenn2621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I noticed a dip in my supply when I first began exercising again. For me it was simple not drinking enough water to compensate for the loss during exercise. I find it helps me if I use livestrong.com and make sure I am eating enough and drinking enough water.

Check out our handmade glass at catscratchglass.etsy.com

Earn Prizes at Swagbucks!
amglenn2621 is offline   Reply With Quote