Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #11
kthoelen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Colic please help

Thanks mammas! He finally went to sleep at 9 last night and slept until 3am!! Then up just before 6 and nursed and went back to sleep. I gave him mylacon and some water with a peppermint disk disolved in it. After all that he burped and spit up about 4 times and then nursed and went to sleep. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out what I could have eaten that has upset his tummy so bad cuz I am bf and I just can't figure it out. I am hoping yesterday was just a sour tummy day. I have an awesome sling that I wear him in and that does help. When he is upset the swing does nothing for him. The vibrating chair helps some but still not enough. I talked to the dr and they gave me the book but he hasn't been diagonsed with it my friend and I just think that is what it is. I will cut the milk today and see how he does. I did have milk yesterday morning and in the afternoon he was horrible so maybe that will help.

Thanks again.

Kerri

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
kennygabbyrunning
Registered Users

Both my children had colic, but what worked for my son was cutting out dairy completely from my diet. It seemed to truly help out his tummy. He is 5 months now and I am slowly beginning to work dairy back into my diet. Something to think about. He also had bad acid reflux, so had to be put on medication for that.

With my daughter bouncing on an exercise ball worked. She liked the repitition. It would help her fall asleep as well. Also gave me a work out. I would do it for hours at a time.....

Good luck. I know it is tough, but promise it will pass.....

Take care,
Kim

Last edited by kennygabbyrunning; 06-05-2007 at 05:12 AM.
kennygabbyrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #13
*Chris~tian Mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoelen View Post
Thanks mammas! He finally went to sleep at 9 last night and slept until 3am!! Then up just before 6 and nursed and went back to sleep. I gave him mylacon and some water with a peppermint disk disolved in it. After all that he burped and spit up about 4 times and then nursed and went to sleep. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out what I could have eaten that has upset his tummy so bad cuz I am bf and I just can't figure it out. I am hoping yesterday was just a sour tummy day. I have an awesome sling that I wear him in and that does help. When he is upset the swing does nothing for him. The vibrating chair helps some but still not enough. I talked to the dr and they gave me the book but he hasn't been diagonsed with it my friend and I just think that is what it is. I will cut the milk today and see how he does. I did have milk yesterday morning and in the afternoon he was horrible so maybe that will help.

Thanks again.

Kerri
Hi Kerri!
First . My youngest DS was considered a high needs baby. He had a SUPER sensitive tummy and did not want to be put down. EVER! He was wrapped to me during almost all of the waking hours (I got a break when DH would take hiim so I could shower or whatever.) We spent from 7pm to anywhere between 11-1:30 am rocking, bouncing on the birthing ball, listening to soothing music, diong infant massage, and he was even given homeopathic remedies to help. At the time, gripe water was recommended but I was not able to locate it and the remedies worked well anyhow~better then Mylicon drops, which were worthless for us! I can sympathize with having an uhappy/uncomfortable baby.
When you are nursing, milk and soy ARE big allergens. However, for us it went way beyond that. Here is the list of things I had to stay away from: Any dairy product~milk, cream, cheese, cream cheese, etc
Soy products~if you are eating cereal check the ingredients. Go Lean, contains soy
Egg!
Coffee~I didn't know how I was going to make it through a day after being up so late, but I did.
Chocolate~"nuff said!
Tomatoes and all related tomatoe products (AHHH!!! NO RED SAUCE!!!)
Garlic, Onions, any strong spices
Peanut butter or nuts

It seemed like anything I regularly ate was suddenly off limits. It was rough, but anything I could do for him was worth me doing to me. He didn't "outgrow it" in a few months. He still has food sensitivities/allergies. (He turned 2 on St Pats day.) But we made it through.

I am hoping you can glean something from me sharing my experience on this. If you think something is an offending food, eliminate it for 3 or 4 days and see if there is an improvement.
Good luck, Hon!
*Chris~tian Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
kthoelen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Chris~tian Mom View Post
Hi Kerri!
First . My youngest DS was considered a high needs baby. He had a SUPER sensitive tummy and did not want to be put down. EVER! He was wrapped to me during almost all of the waking hours (I got a break when DH would take hiim so I could shower or whatever.) We spent from 7pm to anywhere between 11-1:30 am rocking, bouncing on the birthing ball, listening to soothing music, diong infant massage, and he was even given homeopathic remedies to help. At the time, gripe water was recommended but I was not able to locate it and the remedies worked well anyhow~better then Mylicon drops, which were worthless for us! I can sympathize with having an uhappy/uncomfortable baby.
When you are nursing, milk and soy ARE big allergens. However, for us it went way beyond that. Here is the list of things I had to stay away from: Any dairy product~milk, cream, cheese, cream cheese, etc
Soy products~if you are eating cereal check the ingredients. Go Lean, contains soy
Egg!
Coffee~I didn't know how I was going to make it through a day after being up so late, but I did.
Chocolate~"nuff said!
Tomatoes and all related tomatoe products (AHHH!!! NO RED SAUCE!!!)
Garlic, Onions, any strong spices
Peanut butter or nuts

It seemed like anything I regularly ate was suddenly off limits. It was rough, but anything I could do for him was worth me doing to me. He didn't "outgrow it" in a few months. He still has food sensitivities/allergies. (He turned 2 on St Pats day.) But we made it through.

I am hoping you can glean something from me sharing my experience on this. If you think something is an offending food, eliminate it for 3 or 4 days and see if there is an improvement.
Good luck, Hon!

Thanks for that list. I am staying off milk today and so far he has been the best baby ever!! He was awake and quiet for a whole hour today. I even got a couple of little smiles!! I hope that is it. I can stay away from dairy, it will be hard with it being summer and no ice cream though!!! I will have to look into frozen ice!!!
I will keep off the milk for a few days and see if that is it. Again thank you everyone for all of the help. It is great to know so many wonderful ladies that can help thru the tough stuff.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
sonie716
Registered Users

My Mood:

My baby is 6 days old today, and the last couple of nights have been exactly as you described. Yesterday I cut the dairy from my diet and started on Fennel tea. Which is the main ingredient in Gripe water. I drank one cup with my dinner. Last night she slept from 2 am to 8 this morning. Oh what a relief and has been a wonderful baby today.