Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #21
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: suspecting SID in ds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy View Post
Alex has a sensory disorder where he needs excessive deep sensory activities integrated throughout the day (every hour to hour and a half). We got him evaluated through Early Intervention, and are starting OT Wednesday. He is getting 8 weekly sessions to start with to help us determine what works and what doesn't, and then together we will be putting together a "sensory diet." We give him opportunities to jump on pillows, and throw himself down, carry heavy things, wrestle, be tickled, etc, frequently and that drastically reduces his "breakdowns" or "bad sensory" days and moments. We also give him popsicles, sour, salty, crunchy, and sometimes spicy things to eat. The variety of strong flavors/ sensations seems to help a lot as well.
thanks! ds has a big aversion to salty foods, but we keep trying.

Advertisement

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blair- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
I dont know anything about it.. just wanted to send hugs and support
thank you very much, after the hard day I had with him today, this helped.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by janendragon View Post
i would have thought that, since ds had his first 6mth ones, but these behaviours were there as a newborn.
FYI....and hoping not to get flamed here or start a debate...you shouldn't vaccinate any child with a neurological dysfunction and SID sounds like it is one with the sensory issues. COuld make it worse than it already is, just my
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #24
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madolyn View Post
FYI....and hoping not to get flamed here or start a debate...you shouldn't vaccinate any child with a neurological dysfunction and SID sounds like it is one with the sensory issues. COuld make it worse than it already is, just my
we dont vaccinate, havent since he was 6mths old, i didnt know any better then.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #25
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to jump in here before you start to worry about autism with your child too because if you read on the internet, you'll find alot on this SO I guess I am just hear with my BTDT,hope that is ok I just don't want you to worry mama unecessarily.... ALOT of children with autism also have SID co-morbid (along with alot of other things) but SID in itself does not mean autism. So many people I meet get confused with this. SID signs are NOT on the diagnostic list for autism, it is just that most of the time children with autism have SID too. It seems to almost always go hand in hand. Both my DS's have SID (my youngest just diagnosed and started OT) but he is NOT autistic. My older son also has SID as well as he is autistic. He gets intense OT. It helps so much!!! I guess it is just a touchy subject with me because everyone in my family is now assuming Evan (my younger son) is autistic too just because he has SID but he is not, so it irritates me that they can't see this.
If you child loves to "rough house" sounds like he is a sensory seeking kid and he would crave deep pressure. AddysMama had some great suggestions to help with that. It seems strange to do at first, but it really does help!
Let us know how it goes
many I know how tough it can be sometimes!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #26
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you very much! I was worried about the autisim thing, but ds didnt seem to fit any symptoms there. Hes very verbal, has always hit his milestones early or on time, so I definatly think its just SID itself.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I worked as a toddler teacher in a daycare center, I had a little boy(15 mos) in my class with SID. His mom showed me how to "brush" him and massage his arms and legs to help him unwind before nap time. I also had a little girl (2 1/2 yr)in the same class with SID thought to be caused from being exposed to drugs before birth. I was shown how to swaddle her to reduce her stress. I was amazed how such simple techniques worked like a charm.
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote