Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I just want to cry - Thrush :(

I had thrush when I was breastfeeding my 3rd LO. The first time, I tried the probiotics, genetian violet, etc. And it took a while to get rid of.
The second time (2 mos later) I was so fed up and flat out MISERABLE, so I contacted my midwife who wrote me a script for a two pills that are safe while nursing. I can not for the life of me remember what they were, but I took one and then three days later I took the other. Within 24 hours of taking the first, I felt SOOOO much better. And by the time it was time to take the second, I was 100% again.
If I ever have to deal with thrush, I will definitely go for the medication because it treated it a lot quicker than the natural route I tried first.

I also had my LO treated with Nystatin despite the fact he did not show any signs of it being in his mouth. I was afraid if I didn't, then he might have it & just wasn't showing signs yet, therefore he'd pass it back to me & it would be a never ending battle.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please get the thrush treated this is the reason I had to stop BFing my first at 4 mths old we kept getting thrush and her Ped who treated her did not tell me i needed to be treated too. I did not have the internet or have any BFing support at that time.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the suggestions and support everyone!

I do think the green poops were due to too much foremilk, just because he kept pulling off the breast, which resulted in me needing to switch to the other side sooner.

My new question is, to be on the safe side, would it be better for at least the first 2 weeks dealing with thrush to use disposable diapers? As much as I don't want to use them, I'm thinking that with as difficult as yeast appears to be it might be a good idea. Thoughts from mamas who have gone through this?
tiger*baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrush :( - Stay with cloth or use disposables?

i continued with cloth - do a soak with vinegar before you wash or in the rinse
Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #15
cyg37
Registered Users
seller

I just went through this and found this site very helpful (sorry can't post links yet) pinstripesandpolkadots.com/YeastvsCloth.htm

I used sposies until I could wash my whole stash. Good luck!
cyg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #16
mt bums
Registered Users

I have had thrush several times with both of my kids. Nystatin doesn't work.
Get some grapefruit seed extract from your local health food store, put 10 drops in 1oz. or water and "swab" nipples wherever else is affected. Do this after every feeding, diaper change or every 2 hours.
I had bleeding oozing nipples from thrush and I noticed a difference within 12 hours of starting to use gse.
Hope this helps.
As far as diapers, just make sure to wash and dry in drier, or hand in the sun to kill bacteria.
Switching to disposables might make the problem worse on baby's bottom.

eta:
I never had a problem getting rid of thrush while using cloth. I would just keep using your diapers. Just make sure to wash and dry in drier or dry in sun.

Last edited by mt bums; 02-09-2011 at 03:13 AM.
mt bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it were ME I would use disposable nursing pads and use disposable diapers until I could disinfect all my cloth diapers. I might try sposies for a few days to see if that helps the bottom clear up a bit if there is a problem there as well.

Hugs...I hope you get it cleared up soon.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me the probiotics work better than any prescription. I can't tolerate too much dairy so I can't eat a lot of yogurt and all of the yogurt that tastes really good has sugar in it which you to avoid like the plague. Lots of probiotics for you and for baby. They are 100% safe. Check your closest health food store ASAP. And I wouldn't worry about the cloth diapers as long as you are able to wash them in hot water.