Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Infant Rice Cereal Gluten Free Corn Bread!

So I have a good friend who cannot have gluten, and it floored me that rice flour was sooooo expensive. I checked dds infant rice cereal and it seemed free of wheat fillers. So I had my friend check and she said it was safe. Any how I experimented on a corn bread recipe, and it turned out amazing!!! I LOVE corn bread, but do not like it being 100% corn flour, too grainy for my taste. This recipe is comparable ioo(in our opinion!) to the jiffy mix!

preheat 425
1 cup Flour(I used infant rice cereal)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbls sugar
1 cup corn meal
1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup milk (I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 soy...i was out of milk and i only drink soy)
1/4 cup shortening

ok just for a note-soy has an awesome rising effect, for most of my cooking i use 1 tbls of soy flour and water to replace an egg, soy milk kinda does the same thing, only it makes the baked item a little fluffier/lighter imo

I just threw everything into a bowl and mixed just till everything was properly blended, do not beat!
put into greased muffin cups or small cake pan
recipe says for 40 mins, i would just watch it carefully cause it seemed to cook a lot faster, course i used a muffin pan too!
ENJOY these are amazingly yummy!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by AutumnRose; 02-08-2011 at 04:11 PM.
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant Rice Cereal Gluten Free Corn Bread!

How funny!

Just so you know, if you have a powerful enough blender you can make your own rice flour by blending dry rice up.

Also, you may want to check if the rice cereal is made in a facility that also processes wheat. If so, I wouldn't advertise it to others as totally gluten-free as the cereal would be cross-contaminated. Just a friendly public service announcement from the family of a child with Celiac.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi eviesmama i have a question, I read what you posted and it peaked my interest. I have noticed some labels that say they were processed on machines which could have had gluten items on them, so i have avoided those for my friend. however, what about packages that are clearly marked as gluten free? can they really say that if there is a possible contamination?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

It would be nice to be able to trust the labeling. If it's a company that specifically produces only gluten-free food, then I trust it. I also look to see if it tells you what other allergens are processed in the same plant. If both of those are good, then I assume it's ok. Otherwise I call the company and ask.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote