Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Re: Need advice!! Induce or not?

Wow, what a difficult decision to make. Personally...man, I don't know...but I'd be tempted to wait it out, especially if a natural birth is important to you. Interventions tend to lead to more interventions. I agree with the previous posters, though, if you are truly comfortable with whatever results may occur from the induction (ie., needing pain meds, or a c-section, etc.) then the convenience may be a factor to consider.

Another thing to consider, though, is the whole "wisdom of the body" concept...your body knows how long your little one needs to cook for optimum development...pushing your body/baby into something that it's not quite ready for can create difficulties.

Plus, who knows? Maybe you'll go early again, you do have a history of it!

Either way, I think take time to research induction thoroughly, pros and cons, possible complications, benefits...and then make the decision YOU are most comfortable with.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #12
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced 11 days early with #3 and it wasnt bad at all. My Dr used cervadil (tampon like thingie they use to get your cervix ready) that got me into labor within 2hrs. Probably because I was about 2cm for a few wks before that. I didnt need pitocin at all and delivered less than 6hrs after they put the cervadil in....would have been earlier if I wasnt so stubborn I insisted on an epi at 7cm, Dr broke my water then & my body started pushing on its own...but I sat at the edge of the bed & thats what held dd in I laid down when he was done & she pretty much slid out in less than 5 min without any work by me.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
daisybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, i feel better. I just came back from my women's bible study and let them know what I was thinking. They all said they would be there for me whichever I decided. I guess it's just my pregnancy hormones and mama instinct that just wants everything to be planned. It doesn't help knowing my husband won't be there for any of it, unless by some miracle of God!! I think I am going with my original plan of trying to do it naturally, or at least doing most of my labor at home. I'm just determined not to be attached to machines this time or my legs be numb from the epidural and not being able to push because I can't feel the muscles!! I guess worrying about the birth has kept me from worrying about hubby having to leave again, and I just don't want to have to think about it. This will be his 3rd deployment in 3 1/2 years and I am just so through with this!! But I know it's only temporary and I'll have lots of help if I just learn to accept it and ask for it. Thanks, mamas, for giving me advice!!
daisybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
Kellyd
Registered Users

I was induced with my 3rd child during week 38 because my previous labors had been very short. They didn't want me going into labor on my own- so induction it was. But, I was incredibly fearful of using Pitocin because of all the horror stories of very painful contractions when using it. I talked with my midwife about it and she said they could attempt induction by stripping my membranes and breaking my water- with the understanding that if I wasn't contracting on my own by about 10 hours after that they would have to use Pit or we'd be risking c-section. I was a wonderful labor that lasted 3 hours. I would definately talk over this with your OB or midwife and tell them what your concerns are. And- see if they'd try to induce you like I was.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
rds989
Registered Users
seller

What a hard decision.

My dd was induced at 38 weeks. It was a long (31 hours) labor even though I was already a bit dilated, and she ended up being very, very fussy and having terrible silent reflux that led to other complications. I feel strongly that she was not ready to be born, and that her digestive tract needed more time to develop. Although there were some medical considerations (for me, not her) that led us to choose the induction, next time I would not do it.

Then again, lots of posters have already told about their positive experiences. Sounds like you're getting some clarity on what is best for you. Good luck!

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add, at my 38 week inductions with my second DD I didn't find the labor or contractions worse than with my first, who was not induced. My labor with induction was very short and relativly easy. So it can go either way

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

To add I had one induction and one not. The first was the induction and was about 8hrs. I do think the labor was more intense though. Second she just broke my water and that labor was also about 8 hours. Not quite as intense though.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

It is a tough decision. I induced both my second and third... second was 4 days late but DH was going TDY soon and I wasn't about to have her alone. He left 4 days after she was born and I didn't have help. My third was induced but only after I'd been contracting for two days. My doc wasn't happy about inducing but we had just packed up our house for a PCS move and I didn't want to be stuck living in a hotel waiting around. My mother flew in from Japan specifically to help us and she was leaving soon. So he gave me a tad bit of pictocin to throw me over into labor the rest of the way.

I've also had a friend that "just got sick of being pregnant" and begged her doc to induce her at 38 weeks. Her baby came, big head, sunny side up... tore her pretty bad because he also got stuck on her pubic symphasis (sp?) bone. Her doc told her that's the reason he doesn't like to induce early... the baby basically hadn't turned into the ready position. (He knew this but my friend was quite adament and painfully obnoxious about being induced)

good luck with whatever you decide!!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisybaby
Okay, i feel better. I just came back from my women's bible study and let them know what I was thinking. They all said they would be there for me whichever I decided. I guess it's just my pregnancy hormones and mama instinct that just wants everything to be planned. It doesn't help knowing my husband won't be there for any of it, unless by some miracle of God!! I think I am going with my original plan of trying to do it naturally, or at least doing most of my labor at home. I'm just determined not to be attached to machines this time or my legs be numb from the epidural and not being able to push because I can't feel the muscles!! I guess worrying about the birth has kept me from worrying about hubby having to leave again, and I just don't want to have to think about it. This will be his 3rd deployment in 3 1/2 years and I am just so through with this!! But I know it's only temporary and I'll have lots of help if I just learn to accept it and ask for it. Thanks, mamas, for giving me advice!!

good! unless there is a true medical reason you are just tempting fate on inducing. the baby will let you know when he/she is ready to come and if you force that you could wind up with a sick baby. yes 38 week is considered term, but there are always exceptions to the rule. I know a few 38-40 and even 42 week babies that needed a nicu stay because they were having trouble breathing on there own. that is pretty rare, but it can happen. I'm glad you are leaning more to letting your baby and body let you know when the time is.