Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Question Nursing a toddler who has weaned?

Has anyone else gone through this? My 2 1/2 year old stopped nursing when she was 13 months old. She kinda went through a biting habit and with me being pregnant at the time I was kinda over it and took the breast away from her for a couple of days and she was done with it. Now I have an 11 month old who I nurse and recently my 2 1/2 year old asks to do it too. At first I would tell her no even though deep inside I kinda wanted to. I finally caved in and started letting her. She actually didn't forget how to nurse properly and gets milk. So now I'm nursing both. Has anyone else gone through this? I really enjoy the bonding with her and I know it's healthy for her but I'm scared to tell family that I'm nursing her again. I just don't know if this is a normal thing and if anyone else has gone through this.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing a toddler who has weaned?

I did this with my 4th. Same situation as you. After the birth of her baby brother (She was 18 months old) she watched intently so I offered it to her. She picked it right back up and wanted to nurse again for another 6+ months (her choice to stop) I nursed her brother till almost his 3rd birthday 1 month before the birth of his baby sister (#6) would have been happy enough to nurse them both but just didn't work out that way.

I would say go for it. It's a need your daughter has and your comfortable. As for others knowing. It's no one else's business. Good luck mama.. My heart warmed for you while I read your post.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Mama_scoutski
Registered Users
seller

i thought I was an alien. My 26 month old weaned at 13, and when my nb was 2 mo she asked to nurse and I let her. It helped our relationship tremendously and with accepting baby to the house. She nurses about 4 times a day but never longer than 5 minutes. It's great. And I was very afraid at what my family would say. They were all mostly very encouraging. I just have to remind myself it's very American to wean at 12 mo. And in Europe av age is 4. I try to nurse proudly and even in public... Even in this FFed town. I get some weird looks sometimes, but I also get some very great encouragement. Remember you are leading way to more breastfeeding mothers!!!
Mama_scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bpure8: thank you so much mama I am happy that I get to do this with her again especially since I cut her off prematurely before. Me and my husband kinda had a feud with this since he doesn't really agree with it but I just told him how much it means to me and her and now he's kinda just like do what you need to. I'm sure my family would flip out if they found out BUT like you said, no one elses business and I'm doing what's right for us. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has gone through this

Last edited by SillyEllie; 02-09-2011 at 09:57 PM.
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mamascoutski: your post made me smile
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did this! My second son weaned right at two because my milk was gone from the pregnancy with our third. He didn't ask to nurse for about five months, but one day he asked again and happily nursed once or twice a week for another six months. I think he's totally weaned now, I'm glad it was his decision and wasn't pushed in any way.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've thought about doing that with my almost 3 yo daughter now that I'm nursing the newbie, but 3 years was my limit and I don't want to go past then. I had to wean her when she was 2.5 because of my pregnancy. I think it's totally normal, go for it!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is so awesome. My ds weaned while I was pg with my dd. He tried to nurse again and he had lost his latch and couldn't figure it out again. He kind of tried to drink like it was a straw. Very funny. I thought it was sweet for him to try and I would never discourage. It is such a special bonding time that goes so quickly.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote