Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Users
Bread Bowls

Do any of you know how to make home made breadbowls? The google searches I've done come up with lame recipes like "Get a round loaf and cut a hole in it".
Um. Duh.
What type of bread works good? How big should each "bowl" be? How many bowls can I get out out of an average bread recipe?

I am hosting a party on Sat and want to serve this (if it doesn't work out, we'll just have plain soup in a regular bowl--so I'm not too stressed) to about 12 people. This morning I've started a loaf of country bread from Joy of Cooking to try, but then thought I'd post here for other ideas.

Thanks for your help!

nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
katie's mom
Registered Users
Re: Bread Bowls

Restaurants here use small round hollowed out loaves. It is a traditional San Francisco way to serve clam chowder. You pull out as much of the inner bread as you need and then put the "top" back on.

I've seen recipes that have you butter the outside of small bowls and shape your bread dough over that and then bake. When it is done baking you pop out the bowl. I think any firmer bread dough would work, just use one that will go nicely with the type of soup you are serving. I do think bread bowls are proably incompatible with a thin, watery type of soup. They would absorb the liquid too fast and disintegrate.
DD born 10.26.2008
katie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote