Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Breast Milk Storage????

I am a SAHM so I don't really plan on bottle feeding much; however, I do want an emergency stash.

I always used breast milk storage bags with my other kiddos, but I have heard you can use ice cube trays or buy those breast milk cylinders and freeze the milk and store in freezer bags. Anyone do this? Anyone have any information or a link to the information on the best way to preserve milk?

I know they have those fancy breast milk storage systems with the vacuum sealer, storage containers, and what not, but since I will only be using frozen milk every once in awhile I don't think this is necessary for my situation; however, I do want my lo to get the freshest, nutrient rich milk if it is frozen.

Just curious to hear how you all preserve your milk stash.

Mom to dd (17), twin boys (3), and dd born 1/13/11
twinmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Breast Milk Storage????

I liked the Lansinoh storage bags. You can find a box of 50 on sale for $6 from time to time at Target. Although not recommended, I would wash and reuse the bags once. However, I would not do this with a premie or a baby that was immunocompromised.

I tried freezing my milk in a bottle once, but never did it again because it took too long to thaw. I liked how quickly the milk thawed in the bags. I would lay the bags on the freezer shelf to freeze then store filed upright according to date in a box.

I like the idea of using ice cube trays, but was always afraid one would fall on the floor when transferring it from the tray. That milk is so precious and I worked really hard to build a stash. I would cry over spilled breast milk. I also wonder how long it takes to thaw in a cube.

I hope my thoughts help and good luck to you.
penny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Users

Use the freezer bags, I like lansinoh the best. Freeze the bags flat, and store them in an old gift bag with a little slit cut in the bottom. that way the oldest gets used first and you can just out the freshest bags on top! plus it takes up way less room than those little balls of milk everyhwere!!
Adoring Navy Wife to Andrew Mommy to 3 girls A(5), E(3) & Z(1)
Certified Lactation Educator Counselor
mom2ally06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

i have some youtube videos... these should help...

-how to fill a bag and get the air out
- how to freeze a bag and lay it down flat
next one...

- hot to fit a mik in freezer x2
and my smaller freezer

I pump after each feeding and i donate my extra milk to babies in need of i made up these videos to help other moms wanting to donate... but these will help u just store and save up your own milk for your own baby...

Bags work the best. As ice trays will get freezer burn faster.. and if u dont loose it soon enough u will have to throw the milk out. And pumping takes allot of time. So doing them in bags is a great idea and better. PLus if u dont end up using it u can always go to eats on feets in your local area and give it to a mom that needs milk...

hope these help honey ((Hugs)) laura
I am Laura Mommy to Everett,Avlene,Annsley,Clayton. Founder to MM Donate Your extra breast milk! Photographer
@ Portland, OR
laura_mae99 is offline   Reply With Quote