Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to introduce bottle?

Okay, I've nursed three going on four kiddos and each time I introduced the bottle at the wrong time I'm hoping to get it right this time, lol...

With my dd 17 years ago I didn't introduce a bottle until she was around 3 months and she hated it so I gave up at that point. Luckily, I didn't really have to leave her for more than a few hours and this was not until she was about 9 months.

With my twins I introduced the bottle around the same time (three months) because I tried to go back to work. They ended up reverse cycling and refusing most bottles during the day and then making up for lost time by nursing ALL night long. Luckily, my doc advised I quit and wrote me a medical note so I didn't have to work, lol...

Now, I am a confirmed SAHM for the next few years so I will nurse 99.9% of the time, but I do want to go out on a date with dh once in awhile or leave the house one day without my kiddos When is the best time to introduce a bottle? I keep reading conflicting information. My lo is only a month old, but I'm scared of nipple confusion and teaching her "bad" oral behaviors and ruining my progress thus far. Please share your experiences, offer advice, share a link or two perhaps...

Sorry for the long post! Thanks

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to introduce bottle?

My advice would be to introduce a small bottle, 1-2 oz is all that is needed for practice, about 2-3 times per week, starting around 4-6 weeks, and have someone else give it while you are not around (at least in another room). My husband would do it while I was putting my older daughter to bed.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When to introduce bottle?

My lo is 3 weeks old and I just started having dh give a bottle of breastmilk and he has had no confusion.