Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help with a friend who smokes and nurses.

Honestly he sounds like a normal nursing 1 year old to me. Especially considering he doesn't like to eat solid foods. Both of my girls nursed every 1 1/2 hours or so around the clock until they were over 2 it was just normal for them.

As far as testing her milk for fat content it's really not something they can do. I've heard some dr's say they can do it but the amount of fat in our milk changes throughout the day.

My guess is he likes to nurse, it's comforting and that's where he is getting most of his nutrition at this point.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
InterpreterMomma
Registered Users

I know that I should keep my mouth shut, but I'm sorry but the smoking is selfish. With all the new third hand smoke studies coming out, I'm just feeling so sorry for children with smoker parents. People intentionally endangering their children just disgust me. I can't even fathom smoking and then nursing my little one. It is abuse.
InterpreterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
mama0609
Banned
seller

Re: Help with a friend who smokes and nurses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterpreterMomma View Post
I know that I should keep my mouth shut, but I'm sorry but the smoking is selfish. With all the new third hand smoke studies coming out, I'm just feeling so sorry for children with smoker parents. People intentionally endangering their children just disgust me. I can't even fathom smoking and then nursing my little one. It is abuse.

As a daughter of someone who has a really hard time quitting smoking, you're way off the mark mama.

Smoking is an addiction. It's not selfish, it's not easy to just drop for most people. It is a true addiction that requires help, support and sometimes medication to get away from. And unless you want to and believe you can, quitting just doesn't work.

Milk from a smoking mother is still far safer and healthier than formula. Do you know what could be pumped into the cow the powdered milk came from? what about the bugs and larva found in similac recently? I think I'd take the small amounts of nicotine (and if I recall, it's really not nearly as much as you would think) through breast milk than all the BS in formula.

To the OP -
He sounds like a normal 1 yr old to me... Some babies just loooove to nurse. I often doubt my own supply because my baby loves to nurse... all. day. long. He's only 4.5 months old but still, I feel like I'm always feeding him. I doubt there is anything wrong with her milk. Our milk is perfectly designed for each baby... Some babies are chunky and 'fat' (using that term loosely, ya'll know what I mean) and some are long and lean. My DS is long and lean and I hear all the time how small he is and how my milk must not be enough. I would reassure her that he's fine... As long as he pee's and poops and grows on his curve, he's fine and her milk is fine. Once he picks up more solids, he will probably begin to nurse less. For now, he just wants and needs his mamas milk.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote