Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
shell62995
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question homeschooling an asperger's kiddo?

I saw the questions about homeschool yesterday and I never thought I could BECAUSE my son has asd. I knew I could teach him better but I thought he needed the social part from school. I don't do alot of socializing and I haven't made it to church because I don't want to put dd in daycare. (My sister said people don't hold thier babies durning service. Not sure how she knows cause she hasent been to church in forever!) He is about to be 12 on the 29th and going to 6 grade. He has an a/b average but is always in trouble and it's for things associated w/autism. Did you know he teachers don't even know thier students might have special needs unless you tell them. It is a huge event to inform all the teachers every yr and I feel like w/ most the teachers it is a waste of time. This yr he finally made so friends went to b.day parties and even talks to them on the phone. The new problem is he has became friends with other trouble makers because the are in suspension class together!! And these are kids who fight and talk about pot ect.! And of course ds believes the kids when they say it's not thier fault the teacher's are out to get them because he TRUST EVERYONE!! My son would hate the idea of homeschooling because I expect him to actually I don't know......Work! At school he will just be putt in a corner and have to write sentences over and over. They made his copy the classified the other day! So what do you think? Can a mom homeschool an asd kid? Do homeschool kids have social get togethers or a prom? Thanks for the help and sorry for the rant!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Kita
Registered Users
seller

Re: homeschooling an asperger's kiddo?

Hmm. Sounds like a tough decision. From what I understand about asperger's and other asd's, the forced social interaction IS very helpful. HOWEVER, it sounds like your DS is getting into a rough crowd.

Homeschooling is definitely an option, but I would highly recommend forcing yourself and your DS to socialize more often, perhaps with other homeschooled families? There is a huge homeschool community nowadays if you know where to find it. You could also consider private schooling.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
tawnia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't have aspergers, but he is on the spectrum, and homeschooling was the best choice we ever made for his education. So, yes you CAN homeschool! You might have to work a little harder than the average mom to find curriculum that will work for your child, but there are lots of good choices!

As far as socialization goes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. He is being socialized...badly socialized with children who are training him to be a juvenile delinquent (or worse, a victim of delinquents). When you have your child home, you don't stop interacting with him and with the outside world. A trip to the post office or Burger King is socialization--be polite, speak with strangers, behave appropriately. Helping your neighbor with yard work is socialization. Going to the library is socialization. He'll get far more opportunities to practice real-life social interactions at home and in the community if he isn't locked up in the trouble-maker wing of the local school!

I have a baby to nurse right now, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about homeschooling an ASD child...here or on pm. Best wishes!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have home schooled our aspergers son since first grade-he's now 16. K garten was a nightmare and the kind of socialization ps offers well...
And as we found out many years ago you can force them to go but that forced socialization..thats like forcing a kid to eat or sleep.
We do lots of unschooling because thats what works the best for our son..he has to see the why's to what he's doing so hands on is where its at.Our daughter on the other hand is a book worm and loves traditional teaching.
I or live in a state with private homeschools we have proms graduations etc
In our area we have huge homeschool groups with field trips and outings all school year long.We personally do very little with them.Our kids are out and about nearly every day socializing with people and having fun as well.

Last edited by HBuehler; 06-05-2007 at 12:56 PM.
HBuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
shell62995
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

would you ask your kids if they wanted to be homeschooled or just tell them they will be homeschooled?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are the mama - you tell them what they are gonna do! DOesn't mean you can't get some input, but its up to you to make the decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995 View Post
would you ask your kids if they wanted to be homeschooled or just tell them they will be homeschooled?
My 7 yr old cousin has Asperger's and he is homeschooled...it was the best thing they could have done for him. His teachers (special needs teachers, even) were so intolerant of his behaviors...sad really.

His parents belong to a charter HS program so he gets TONS of socialization from weekly events/field trips. They also have to go to the school so many times per month/week to do classroom type learning and 'in front of the class' reports. He's a different kid now.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
tawnia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995 View Post
People have so many different opinions about this...I'm in the "I'm the mama and it's my decision!" camp.

My kids were pre-K through 3 when we started homeschooling...they just went along with what I wanted them to do. Neither of my schooled children has EVER asked to go back. School is something I threaten when they are driving me bonkers: "Do your math...or you're going back to school!"

It sounds like your son is older, and while I would probably give an older child more say in the decision...it would still be the decision of my dh and myself. Your son isn't going to want to separate from his "friends," but it sounds like that is exactly what you want/need for him to do.

Again, I'm running out the door, but I'll check back later!

Last edited by tawnia; 06-05-2007 at 06:20 PM.
tawnia is offline   Reply With Quote