Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural Sugar Substitution

As I read this thread, I'm wondering what % of the population has any concept of the many types of sugar, the effeect on our bodies, the manufacturing process, etc. I'm totally riveted by this, but I'm feeling like a big nerd right now.

That said, I don't know specific conversions, I have been subbing honey for sugar in some recipes, but I just eyeball the texture of the batter (like for quick breads and cookies), so no help there. Right now I'm using evaporated cane juice (Florida Crystals), just as a way to avoid sugar made from sugar beets (my big issue is with genetically modified food). When I am able, I will buy rapadura in bulk. It's sugar from sugar cane, but less processed so it has more minerals in tact. Obviously, it doesn't make it a health food, but I feel like it's better for me than the C&H on the shelf at the grocery store.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Here's another idea: don't forget about using dried fruit to sweeten things like raw crusts, oatmeal, cereals, etc. Ie. Dates (there are many kinds), raisans etc. (Raw cook books are FUN!
smiling.politely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
kej
Registered Users
seller

My dh has a health issue and cannot eat processed sugars. I don't know the chemistry of them, but his doc told him no more b/c they somehow make his body react badly (along with wheat-not gluten). So in our house, we use lots of natural sweeteners. Cane juice does not affect him, we have learned. I don't think that's processed, so much as just squeezed from the sugar cane.

We buy honey by the 5-gallon bucket from a local apiary. We use stevia and xylitol (sounds funny but it's natural) in coffee and baking, respectively.
kej is offline   Reply With Quote