Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Poox2
Registered Users
seller

Won't take bottle

Any one have any advice about a breastfed baby who won't take a bottle? She is five months old, I gave her an occasional bottle of EBM from about 5 weeks til 3 months no problems. Then suddenly she decided only mom was good enough for her. I've tried having someone else give her the bottle, me gone, warm bottle, cold bottle, I use advent nipples. Has anyone had a child grow out of this or do I have to wait til she can eat solids? I am home with her, but would like to be able to be away more than 2 hours or so every now and then.

Advertisement

Poox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
mulysa
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Won't take bottle

My son at about 4mths would not take a bottle after he had been taking any bottle I gave him. Then started a long battle of not taking bottles well. He would take a bottle with evenflo breast feeding nipple and adiri bottle. This was after about 25 or more different nipples and bottles. He would either wait until I could feed him up to 6 hrs then cluster feed or eat very little. This happened up until we weaned at about 10 and a half/11mths. Then he would take any bottle with any nipple but we mainly used sippy cups.
mulysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My first didn't take a bottle, but here is a list of all the things we tried anyway:

http://lactationnarration.com/index....take-a-bottle/
Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Poox2
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice and stories- looks like we just have to keep trying til it either works or doesn't. Stubborn kids!
Poox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poox2 View Post
Thanks for the advice and stories- looks like we just have to keep trying til it either works or doesn't. Stubborn kids!
This is basically it. My DD was declining the bottle and we desperately needed her to be able to drink from one since I was going to be away for a long period of time. What finally worked was propping her up in the boppy and shoving the nipple into her mouth. If we just put it on her lips she would play or cry. We did this for a while and now ~ success! Actually my husband just told me she's now holding her own bottle for a few minutes during her feedings.
So my suggestion is trying a new position like in the car seat or bouncy seat or whatever. GOOD LUCK!