Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Newborn refusing night feedings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
Oh he wakes up fine, he even roots, then he gets the boob and his little mouth seals shut. Or he arches his back turns red and screams lol.
He might want to be burped, cos arching backs indicate gassy tummies. But yes, its difficult to get a good burp out. DS1 wld take 30 mins of bouncing on my thighs before even one burp..consequently, he used to cry a lot, since many times I'd be too sleepy to stay upright for 30 more mins for a burp!

My current 3 wker too almost STTN, but I strip him down to his dipes to wake him so I can feed at 4am. A good quick burper, many times after laying him down, he kinda sounds like he's rooting, looks around, Makes a few burpy sounds (Dunstan's baby language's "Eairh") and almost as soon as I pick him up to be burped, he gives out a loud belch and conks off!

I wld suggest burping him when u wake him up. He might continue to arch/scream red, but that's cos he too desperately wants to get that frickin gas bubble out. Let us know how it goes with the ped.

Also, does he have enuf wet/soiled dipes?

Advertisement

Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

He has 5-7 wet diapers a day, and usually 1-3 soiled diapers once in a blue moom he skips a day on the poop front.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

So then..is he doing ok on the burping thing I wrote about?
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and ARE you waking him up?? Because if you are, I honestly wouldn't. It's a struggle for you, and he may be PO'ed because he wants to sleep. He's doing well on diapers, so I wouldn't be concerned about waking him; esp. if you don't want to start a "habit" of him waking constantly. DS is almost 2 and still wakes up often. Your DS might change to wake up more if he's going through a growth spurt, but I wouldn't force him to if he's gaining, ect.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Nope he wakes on his own and cries. I have tried burping him. He usually roots and sucks on his hands which is how I know he is hunhry when waking.

He is not gaining as fast as he should which is why it concerns me, the midwife said to force him to eat, but you cant force a baby who doesn't want to eat to eat. He is only gained 70 grams last week and he should be gaining 150-200. She is coming to check his weight again tommorow

The last time he refused to eat he got a fever and the pediatrician sent him to the hospital for 2 days. The midwife said he got the fever from not eating.

He may have reflux, but they do not diagnose it in babies here. The doc just said to try ar formula which made him worse. Most doctors do not recognize it and those that do say there is no treatement. I am also concerned we may have thrush, I am not sure if that can be the issue. Both have some overlapping syptoms so I am not sure if he has one or the either or both. I am gonna ask to have his mouth swabbed when we go in, so if it is thrush we can get treated.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

My DD had silent reflux that went undiagnosed for 2 months. She would arch her back and SCREAM. We had thrush as well. She was diagnosed with colic on top of everything. Here are some resources below. I hope that they can help him soon. I love Kellymom as a resource.

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna...rticle=tscreen

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
Nope he wakes on his own and cries. I have tried burping him. He usually roots and sucks on his hands which is how I know he is hunhry when waking.

He is not gaining as fast as he should which is why it concerns me, the midwife said to force him to eat, but you cant force a baby who doesn't want to eat to eat. He is only gained 70 grams last week and he should be gaining 150-200. She is coming to check his weight again tommorow

The last time he refused to eat he got a fever and the pediatrician sent him to the hospital for 2 days. The midwife said he got the fever from not eating.

He may have reflux, but they do not diagnose it in babies here. The doc just said to try ar formula which made him worse. Most doctors do not recognize it and those that do say there is no treatement. I am also concerned we may have thrush, I am not sure if that can be the issue. Both have some overlapping syptoms so I am not sure if he has one or the either or both. I am gonna ask to have his mouth swabbed when we go in, so if it is thrush we can get treated.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Perhaps you can try giving him gripe water before putting him to bed. DD#2 would get a sour stomach sometimes (probably from food I was eating, but not enough to start cutting foods out) and a little gripe water really helped calm her stomach. You can find gripe water at the drugstore here, not sure about in Germany though.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
mama0609
Banned
seller

Remember too that his weight gain may be normal for HIM... I have a baby who doesn't gain up to par either and he's fine... He gains 2-2.5 oz a week and has adequate diapers.

He may wake up and root and latch because he wants comfort moreso than food. Do you co-sleep? Maybe he just wants to be close to you?

You certainly can't force him to eat... And it sounds to me like he's doing fine... He is alert/active/content during the day?

Hugs mama! I know how it is when they don't gain like they're 'supposed' to!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
mama0609
Banned
seller

Oh and I just want to say... I don't think a baby can get a fever from not eating... He got a fever because he probably had an infection of some sort... The infection may have caused him to not want to eat but it wasn't the fact that he didn't eat that caused the fever.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote