Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
JLea
Registered Users
seller

Handsy nurser

I'm sure everyone goes through this with their LOs nursing, but how do you handle it? DS is out of control with the scratching and pinching and grabbing! My arms and chest look like a road map! I've tried giving him a toy or something to hold on to while nursing to keep his hands busy, but he usually takes it for a couple seconds and ends up throwing it somewhere. He is 5 months tomorrow btw. I've thought about getting one of those mommy necklaces, but I've held off because I didn't want to encourage him to grab jewelry.
He is also very distractible right now. It's hard enough to get him to focus on nursing and often when I try to calm down his hands he just gets more distracted from nursing. Sorry this is sort of a vent...I've just felt at a loss the past few days. He had not been nursing well. I know he's hungry, but when I offer he will wants nothing to do with it half the time and even screams and arches his back. If I upright him then he is fine, but still fussy and acting hungry. Ultimately, we've only been getting in really short feedings here and there. I'm assuming he's getting enough in the short feedings b/c he does still sleep through the night and has plenty of wet/dirty diapers. His best nursing time is first thing in the morning b/c he's very hungry but still sleepy so not distracted by anything else, but the rest of the day its a struggle.
Open to any advice!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Handsy nurser

My little guy will be 5 mos next week and he's also very scratchy. A few things that are helping: nursing laying down whenever we can (not always easy with a 2 year old in the house, lol), putting fabric between me and him- so I cover as much of myself as possible with my shirt so he's grabbing fabric instead of mauling my skin and finally, giving him my finger or hand to hold/grab onto. I remember my DD going through this as well, it's a bit infuriating. I find DS ends up eating all.day.long I think because he's not having a lot to eat at each sitting.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
mama2Holden
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I can relate. My 5 month old DS is the same way. It drives me crazy. And on days when his brother is off from school it seems he never has a full meal. He just wants to see what his brother is up to.
mama2Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
JLea
Registered Users
seller

Well, glad to know I'm not alone on either issue! I do try to put fabric between us and most of the time he does grab my finger and that seems to make him content. BUT he pulls and pushes my finger all around and I usually have to hold the breast for him or else he loses his latch, so he ends up pushing/pulling the boob out of his mouth! Lol. I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually. Some days just seem way more hectic than others...I guess today was one of those days. I can hardly imagine handling an older sibling at the same time! God bless yall that do!