Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone relactated after an extended period?

I stopped BF'ing at 1 month and my DD is 7.5 months... I'd really like to relactate... Has anyone done this successfully with such a big gap? What worked for you?

How long should I expect it to take (if I keep to a good schedule etc) before I have a full supply again? I read that I should expect it to take the same amount of time to get a full supply, as the time since I BF last... Which would be 6 months+ :O But then I read that 50% of women get their supply back within in a month (though no details on their situations etc)...

Will DD continue to sleep through the night (she does 9pm til 10am at the moment)? This is a question purely so I can communicate with DH - one of his 'concerns'... He's not super supportive.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
mama0609
Banned
seller

Re: Has anyone relactated after an extended period?

I did! I relactated for DS1 when he was around 6 or 8 months old. I hadn't nursed him since birth.

It took me 2 months to get up to 10 oz a day. That was with pumping every 2 hours around the clock, herbs, oatmeal and domperidone. I think another 2 months, I would have been up to 20 oz a day. But my grandmother got sick and I was driving daily to visit her at the hospital, an hour away.

You can expect it can take UP TO as long as it's been since you've last nursed. So it could take you a month OR it could take you 6 plus months. It depends on your body and your dedication. If you can get baby back to breast with an SNS or lact-aid device, you may get it back sooner. My DS wouldn't latch when I started so I pumped exclusively during my relactation period.

As for whether or not she will sleep through the night, I don't think BM or formula makes a difference. There are BF babies that sleep through the night early on and formula fed babies who just don't... DS1 was FF and didn't sleep through the night until 11 months old.

Good luck! PM me if you need anything! I've been there, done that and would be glad to help if I can!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama0609 View Post
I did! I relactated for DS1 when he was around 6 or 8 months old. I hadn't nursed him since birth.

It took me 2 months to get up to 10 oz a day. That was with pumping every 2 hours around the clock, herbs, oatmeal and domperidone. I think another 2 months, I would have been up to 20 oz a day. But my grandmother got sick and I was driving daily to visit her at the hospital, an hour away.

You can expect it can take UP TO as long as it's been since you've last nursed. So it could take you a month OR it could take you 6 plus months. It depends on your body and your dedication. If you can get baby back to breast with an SNS or lact-aid device, you may get it back sooner. My DS wouldn't latch when I started so I pumped exclusively during my relactation period.

As for whether or not she will sleep through the night, I don't think BM or formula makes a difference. There are BF babies that sleep through the night early on and formula fed babies who just don't... DS1 was FF and didn't sleep through the night until 11 months old.

Good luck! PM me if you need anything! I've been there, done that and would be glad to help if I can!
Thank you so much!!!!

Do I have to get a prescription for the domperidone?

Thanks!! I will very likely have some questions once I get going, so I'll definitely drop you a PM once they pop up!! I appreciate it!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
mama0609
Banned
seller

I order my domperidone through inhousepharmacu.biz. It takes 2-3 weeks to get it.

Feel free to PM me!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you!

I pumped for the first time this morning (wanted to wait until DH was out of the house) and one side there was a little moisture on my nipple (don't know if it was milk or just condensation...) but the other side there was enough to dribble down my nipple into my pump (not as far as the bottle, but still!!!) and there were some BIG beads on my nipple I assume it's colostrum, because my body has to 'start over'??

It certainly dried into that nasty crusty colostrum consistency I tried to put Evey on the boob, but although she seemed fascinated and was stroking my boob, all we managed to do was smear colostrum on her face

I SO wasn't expecting to get ANYTHING, so I'm quite happy about this!