Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
do you wake your baby to feed during the day?

I'm mainly asking about newborns, those first 6 weeks or so, especially the first few weeks when trying to get a good supply established. It's been 4 years since I last nursed a newborn (and only made it to about 4.5 months). I did wake my baby to feed him during the day (but not at night, they did that on their own!). With both my kids, I followed a 3 hour (start to start) schedule. I think it may have contributed to a low supply problem which caused me to supplement and then eventually they weaned themselves.

I am planning to take a more "on-demand" approach with this one and REALLY want to avoid any bottles, at least for awhile. (I do have a pump so if/when the baby gets a bottle, it can be breastmilk). I just remember with my other 2 that the late afternoon/early evening I felt so drained and empty, and they would latch on, let go, fuss, which made me think there wasn't anything coming, so I gave a bottle. Probably a mistake, but when you have a fussy baby and you feel like he's not getting any from you, then that's sort of the knee-jerk reaction. I know it's normal to cluster-feed in the afternoon/evening.

I just remember with my other 2, especially that first full day or two in the hospital that the baby would sleep and sleep and sleep! I would try to wake the baby to nurse and then he'd fall back asleep while nursing! Both my kids were gaining weight fine and didn't "need" to be supplemented. I waited until about 3-4 weeks before giving a bottle.

So, how long do you let your baby sleep between feedings during the day? I guess this was kind of a long, drawn-out post to ask that question, but I though maybe a little history might help.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: do you wake your baby to feed during the day?

I nursed on-demand for the first two or three weeks, and by then they were moving towards a three-hour-ish schedule on their own, but there were times when I would wake them to feed (not at night though). I try not to let them go longer than three hours between feedings until they're about 4 months old or so.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes! Definitely yes! I have always woken both of my boys to eat during the day. I start them off on a flexible schedule--meaning they eat when they're hungry. If it's only been two hours and they're hungry, I feed them. And if it's been three-four hours and they're sleeping, I wake them up to eat. I have never had any supply trouble, and DS1 started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks and DS2 at seven weeks. I firmly believe if you feed a baby enough during the day, they won't need to eat at night.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 3 going on 4 happy, healthy little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, if she didn't wake after 3 hrs, I would wake her. (Both of my DD's).
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Definitely. I figure that a newborn needs 8-10 feeds in 24hrs and if we only do 4 during the day she still needs 6 in the middle of the night!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

NO WAY!!! I always let DS just nurse whenever he wanted, day or night. But... he was a horrible sleeper (day and night!) so his max between feeds was 3 hours... and that was VERY max and that hardly happened.

I think I would have a different answer if he nursed like others are saying... more at night than during the day and if he had super long stretches of time where he didn't want to nurse.

I think it depends on the baby

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

I've been wondering this to, my new LO will usually sleep a four hour stretch but it's been happening during the day, I've been thinking I should wake her more in the day but i don't want her to just start not going long stretches at all..
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
LovinMy3Boys83
Registered Users
seller

The only time I woke him up was if we were going somewhere and I wanted to nurse him beforehand. If we were home and he was asleep then I let him be. He will wake when he is hungry, which was every 3-4 hours, sometimes a little longer. He started going 6-7 hrs during the night around 6 weeks old and now at almost 4 months he eats every 3 hrs during the day, and goes 9 hrs at night! He's getting plenty judging on his diapers and he's growing great according to his Dr. I don't believe in waking a sleeping baby!