Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller

My Mood:
RSV Vaccine

We are being told that our 33 weeker does not qualify for the RSV vaccine because his siblings are not in day care. The things that I have read dont specify that they older children have to be in day care. Anyone know the details of this?

Advertisement

Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RSV Vaccine

I was always told you need to have a child born before 36 weeks gestation. As such I would fight this if I were you. They are just trying to get out of paying. And honestly if I were in your shoes I would get a note from the neonatologist saying that your child needs it and it is medically needed. I can be a pain in the you know what with insurance companies though.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I would fight it. My son, a 34 weeker, was denied because he wasn't premature enough for their standards, apparently. His older sister is in preschool, too. He ended up getting RSV and stayed 2 nights, 3 days in the hospital.

Get a prescription from the doctor and try to get it covered.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Stoffmaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son was born 3.5 years ago, at 33 wks 6 days, we were told he didn't qualify because noone in the house smoked. He was on an apneia monitor, and still didn't qualify.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Dh's on service now, so he's practically living there. You could try asking him for clarification. He's pretty good about explaining things.

When we had my oldest at 36 weeks IIRC she didn't qualify because there was a nationwide shortage, and they were only giving it out to babies who were in the most extreme circumstances. She was pretty healthy, all things considered, so we didn't push it.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Docs Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Dh's on service now, so he's practically living there. You could try asking him for clarification. He's pretty good about explaining things.

When we had my oldest at 36 weeks IIRC she didn't qualify because there was a nationwide shortage, and they were only giving it out to babies who were in the most extreme circumstances. She was pretty healthy, all things considered, so we didn't push it.
He has been discharged so I am not sure who we would talk to about it. I will see what the peds clinic says first then we will go from there. One of my main concerns is that since DH is a wounded warrior we practically live at the hospital. They have been good so far with working with us so I dont have to get the LO out, but that will only last for so long. My DH makes multiple ER trips a month and even though I dont take the kids when he goes I am still afraid of what he brings home being there so much. We just have to decide if this is a battle we want to fight.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

You know you are allowed second opinions, right? I don't think a lot of military families know that if you want to see someone else and ask for another opinion on a subject, then you can get it. Also, I think that you can be followed by the developmentalists in the NICU clinic, they may know more about it than some random resident. Maybe. I've only been in to this clinic once to get a referral for ds for his services, so I'm not sure how the clinic works yet. So far, it seems like one big hot mess. The AF is really weird...

You can also ask them about how much RSV they are seeing right now. I think we're getting out of RSV season, so that may put your mind at ease, some.

I didn't know he was discharged. Congrats!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Docs Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
You know you are allowed second opinions, right? I don't think a lot of military families know that if you want to see someone else and ask for another opinion on a subject, then you can get it. Also, I think that you can be followed by the developmentalists in the NICU clinic, they may know more about it than some random resident. Maybe. I've only been in to this clinic once to get a referral for ds for his services, so I'm not sure how the clinic works yet. So far, it seems like one big hot mess. The AF is really weird...

You can also ask them about how much RSV they are seeing right now. I think we're getting out of RSV season, so that may put your mind at ease, some.

I didn't know he was discharged. Congrats!
Ohh trust me we know all getting a second opinion. And yes I agree the AF is a mess....we are Army . That is a good idea about asking how many RSV cases they are seeing right now. I am not sure about the developmentalists in the NICU, I know when we asked if we needed to do any thing special for follow up we were told no, that he would be on the same schedule as as any NB, since he didnt have any issues while he was in the NICU. One of the other fellows always called him the preemie who didnt know he was one.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Docs Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just thought I would update, he had his well baby appt today. He will be getting the RSV vaccine. She said after talking to someone and thinking about what we said about DH being at the hospital so much that she agrees that he would benafit from it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

good to hear!

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote