Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
DracoDrake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi!

Hello. I just joined. My name's Drake. I have 3 sons, one who will be 17 tomorrow, a 15 year old, & a 3 week old. I used disposables w/ the first 2 but really want to use cloth diapers w/ my new baby. I've been finding some good deals out there and doing a lot of research online & looking forward to learning more about all the ins & out, especially when it comes to washing the diapers, as we do have a washer/dryer in the hallway, but it's shared w/ 2 apartments & is coin operated. Any suggestions to maximize the effectiveness of my washes would be greatly appreciated. (I notice some of the soaps recommend you do a preliminary empty wash to remove residue, but with others using the washer, that's kind of impossible for me.)Thanks!

Advertisement

DracoDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
londyn's mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hi!

You dont have to do empty washes and I would recommend soapy water in your bucket to start the process and give you more time between washes so you are only doing full loads. Also if you dont already try to line dry it helps the diapers and will save you money.
londyn's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Welcome Drake! Your question will get a lot more action posted in the Diaper Chatter Q&A section of the board - also, look at the top of that board for the stickies in red. There is one devoted to wash routines and detergent alone, and it is very informative.

Your wash routine does not have to be terribly complicated. If you buy a diaper sprayer, or are willing to dunk and flush the poopy diapers (this is what I do) then there is really no need to do a prewash. With breastfed newborn poop (I don't know what formula fed poop is like, it make be the same) you don't even have to rinse or dunk or spray - it all just washes off in a regular wash, in my experience.

Try to keep it as simple as possible and then just tweak your routine if you notice that your child is getting rashes (from detergent build up or the diapers not getting clean enough) or if the diapers smell bad when clean.

I do recommend though, if you are using a coin op dryer and don't have anywhere inside your apartment to partially hang diapers dry, you will probably want to stick with quick drying options like prefolds, flats and pockets - AIOs and most fitteds take much longer to dry.

Congratulations on your new baby, mama, and welcome to diaperswappers!
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Ashl3y
Registered Users
seller

Welcome!
Ashl3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welcome! We're glad to have you here
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

glad to have you here!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
DracoDrake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions. The apartment I live in is more of a townhome style-there's only 8 units total & while being located near downtown, it's right off the nature trail, so we have lots of grassy area. I think I can find an area outside to be able to dry/sun diapers & am planning on using AIO/AI2 if possible, & willing to try pockets as well. I'm not really wanting to have to mess w/ a separate cover, though some of the fitteds are cute.
DracoDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welcome!