Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Almost 38 weeks and I've never met my OB! Updated post #9

ím really starting to freak out nowÖ I have never met with my OB or had an appointment with her. There are two NP in the practice who I have seen for all of my routine OB visits. I discussed having complete placenta previa with the OB when I was 17 weeks and I had some bleeding. Other than that I have never met with her. I am starting to get some serious anxiety about that. At my 37 week appointment we were supposed to meet with her, but she had to deliver a baby. So we met with the NP instead. Iím so afraid that I will not meet with her before the birth and hate everything about her. I know itís really late to not have met my OB before, but Iím really starting to stress out about it. I donít know if she wants to strap me to the bed, and cut me from font to back, or what other torture I may endure.

What would you do if you knew nothing about her birthing ways? What happens if everything I want she doesnít want or wont let me do?

Heres the list of questions Iíd like to be answered. I donít think its too extensive and will not take more than ten minutes.

Do you limit what we want during labor? (Food, positions, water, etc.)
intermittent fetal monitoring or continuous fetal monitoring ?
Do you wait until the cord has stopped pulsating before it gets cut?
Can I walk around during labor?
positions for pushing?
coached pushing vs spontaneous pushing?
when do you augment labor with what? pitocin? cervidil?
Can I wear my own clothes?
Can I labor in tub? deliver in tub?
How early can we be discharge ?
baby placed on my chest after labor
heparine/saline lock or IV required?

Cross posted to my due date community.

Advertisement

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!

Last edited by PinkSapphire87; 02-17-2011 at 01:22 PM.
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Almost 38 weeks and I've never met my OB! WWYD?

I wouldn't worry about it. The OBGYN is not likely to be with you while you labor anyways, it's normally just a nurse. The OBGYN will come in at the end to catch baby or come in if their is a problem, otherwise you won't be seeing her. Most hospitals in the USA are standard, no food or drink, limited walking if you can walk at all, an IV and EFM.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. The OBGYN is not likely to be with you while you labor anyways, it's normally just a nurse. The OBGYN will come in at the end to catch baby or come in if their is a problem, otherwise you won't be seeing her. Most hospitals in the USA are standard, no food or drink, limited walking if you can walk at all, an IV and EFM.
That's my thought too. I'm in a similar boat as you, but just decided to go with it (as if I have a choice! ). The dr really doesn't do much with the labor, it's the nurses. Maybe call the hospital and see if they can answer any questions for you?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

If she says no to anything- don't sweat it. She won't be there while you're laboring, so it's the L&D nurses that you want to ask most of your questions. Is it a group practice or will you for sure have that dr when it's time to deliver? My OB is part of a group practice and didn't make it to either of my births. The first OB wouldn't let me labor in the tub after my water broke, the second did. A major difference was the nurse I had for each birth. The first nurse was really anti natural birth, the second was much more relaxed and gentle. I also had my BFF doula-ing for me, so that really helped. Do you gave a labor partner? I would try to find someone you can trust to be with you and stand up for you.

The only thing I can see she would have a problem with is delivering in the tub. I don't know if it's the way the tubs are situated at the hospital I delivered at, but that was one thing they were vocally against.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAnnaTime View Post
If she says no to anything- don't sweat it. She won't be there while you're laboring, so it's the L&D nurses that you want to ask most of your questions. Is it a group practice or will you for sure have that dr when it's time to deliver? My OB is part of a group practice and didn't make it to either of my births. The first OB wouldn't let me labor in the tub after my water broke, the second did. A major difference was the nurse I had for each birth. The first nurse was really anti natural birth, the second was much more relaxed and gentle. I also had my BFF doula-ing for me, so that really helped. Do you gave a labor partner? I would try to find someone you can trust to be with you and stand up for you.

The only thing I can see she would have a problem with is delivering in the tub. I don't know if it's the way the tubs are situated at the hospital I delivered at, but that was one thing they were vocally against.
There is only one OB, so unless she is out of town or there is an emergency she will be my dr.

I really wish we could have had a doula, but we honestly cannot afford the $500 fee.

I figured delivering in the tub in a hospital with an OB is a far stretch, but it can't hurt to ask worst case they say no.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire87 View Post
ím really starting to freak out nowÖ I have never met with my OB or had an appointment with her. There are two NP in the practice who I have seen for all of my routine OB visits. I discussed having complete placenta previa with the OB when I was 17 weeks and I had some bleeding. Other than that I have never met with her. I am starting to get some serious anxiety about that. At my 37 week appointment we were supposed to meet with her, but she had to deliver a baby. So we met with the NP instead. Iím so afraid that I will not meet with her before the birth and hate everything about her. I know itís really late to not have met my OB before, but Iím really starting to stress out about it. I donít know if she wants to strap me to the bed, and cut me from font to back, or what other torture I may endure.

What would you do if you knew nothing about her birthing ways? What happens if everything I want she doesnít want or wont let me do?

Heres the list of questions Iíd like to be answered. I donít think its too extensive and will not take more than ten minutes.

Do you limit what we want during labor? (Food, positions, water, etc.)
intermittent fetal monitoring or continuous fetal monitoring ?
Do you wait until the cord has stopped pulsating before it gets cut?
Can I walk around during labor?
positions for pushing?
coached pushing vs spontaneous pushing?
when do you augment labor with what? pitocin? cervidil?
Can I wear my own clothes?
Can I labor in tub? deliver in tub?
How early can we be discharge ?
baby placed on my chest after labor
heparine/saline lock or IV required?

Cross posted to my due date community.
I agree w/ the pps that the OB won't be there except to catch the baby or for an emergency, however, if the bolded are major concerns of yours or things you'd like on your birth plan, a copy of those desires/concerns needs to be signed by your OB. A nurse in the hospital isn't going to take your word for it and if you don't have a signed birth plan, they revert to normal hospital procedure/policy.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it is really going to be the nurses that you end up seeing most of the time. But I would REALLY want to meet the OB first and would call up the practice and say that The best thing to do is to wait to go to the hospital until you are ready. I went when I was 10cm dilated and plus 2, there was never a chance to do any type of intervention.

Have you looked into an apprentice doula or maybe one that will take payments/trade?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

I live in Ontario, Canada and where I am, there are 8 OB's in my closest city, its common knowledge that whatever one you see during your pregnancy IS NOT the one that will deliver your baby. The doctors alternate rounds, and whatever OB is on duty that day is the one to deliver. For my 4th pregnancy, I actually just went to a OB at a local hospital (the only one in that town) and then just drove to the bigger hospital to deliver, I didn't see the point in driving almost an hour every few weeks for appts when that doctor wouldn't be delivering anyway, so I just showed up in L&D there when I was in labour letting on I was at a friends closeby and went into labour while there
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the responses they have made me feel a lot better. I met with the NP today, and she helped ease some of my nervousness. She has had both of her babies delivered by the OB so that helped as well. My 38 week appointment next week is with the OB so hopefully she will be in office and wont be delivering a baby!